The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This forum makes me sad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:00 am 
Proven Drifter

Is there a new forum that's used more often, or is this really it? Things sure have changed since we got all of this started up back in the day. I used to spend hours catching up on posts every day.

Can somebody catch me up? I'm a "fan" of the Facebook page, so I see that there are still some events every now and then, but is the drift scene still alive and well? We live just down the street from our favorite old spot now, but I don't ever hear any squealing tire parties late at night. When we built up the drifting scene in KC and my friends created KCDA, we wanted it to be a sort of brother(/sister?)hood and that the art of drifting would be passed down to newer and newer generations. With the forum falling apart, I'm afraid it's no longer like that anymore. Anyone interested in building that up again?

I just surprised my (now) husband, tougeznut, with a 350Z for our wedding so we can finally get back into drifting. Do the head honchos need help with anything? Is there a semi-legal way we can practice before the next event? Is there anybody out there???

Anyway, I can't believe that we were just kids when we started this and now I'm the old fogey, but that's what happens when you run out of money and have to wait years til you can afford to have fun again...

'13 VW Jetta GLI & '04 350Z

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:58 am 
Proven Drifter

Yes everyone has grown up and doesn't care about drifting anymore.... I've been on this forum sense the beginning and this definitely the slowest I've ever seen it. Now that i have a big boy job and I don't want any car payments anymore I just recently bought a 92 240sx. I don't plan on drifting but just making it all around fun weekend car.

Also prices of 240's are the highest I've seen them that it's just getting outrageous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:05 am 
Proven Drifter

Yeah, I hear ya. Because of my big girl job, I'd have to have somewhere legal to practice. Can't risk drifting on the streets or in parking lots like when I was a kid. Growing up sucks. Sounds like some of the old guys are interested in getting back into it though. But I heard Heartland Park might be tanking?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:50 pm 
Event Coordinator

jayhawkjoe wrote:
Is there a new forum that's used more often, or is this really it? Things sure have changed since we got all of this started up back in the day. I used to spend hours catching up on posts every day.

I think forums in general have died. They're a carry-over from the bulletin boards of the early internet.

jayhawkjoe wrote:
Can somebody catch me up? I'm a "fan" of the Facebook page, so I see that there are still some events every now and then, but is the drift scene still alive and well? We live just down the street from our favorite old spot now, but I don't ever hear any squealing tire parties late at night. When we built up the drifting scene in KC and my friends created KCDA, we wanted it to be a sort of brother(/sister?)hood and that the art of drifting would be passed down to newer and newer generations. With the forum falling apart, I'm afraid it's no longer like that anymore. Anyone interested in building that up again?

We still have just as many events / year as we used to, and with more drivers than ever. This year may be a little rough with the issues between HPT and Topeka. The hangouts and streeting slowed way down when premium was $4 a gallon. Drifters already live on pennies. That didn't help anyone. There are several people interested in a revival of the old days. Start bumping the events section here, or host events and share them to our Facebook page.

jayhawkjoe wrote:
I just surprised my (now) husband, tougeznut, with a 350Z for our wedding so we can finally get back into drifting. Do the head honchos need help with anything? Is there a semi-legal way we can practice before the next event? Is there anybody out there???

That's a heck of a surprise! We're currently looking for new venues within Kansas City, and working to figure out funding to pay for those venues. The drive to Topeka has been a struggle from the beginning. If you know any land or business owners that you think would be interested in renting paved lots, shoot me a message and we'll get in touch.

Skyline wrote:
Yes everyone has grown up and doesn't care about drifting anymore.... I've been on this forum sense the beginning and this definitely the slowest I've ever seen it.

It's had ups and downs the 5+ years I've been a member. This is the longest down I've seen, but yeah, I don't know that forums will come back this time. I'm planning to rebuild on a newer platform to make it easier for new people to login and add some more modern features.

jayhawkjoe wrote:
Yeah, I hear ya. Because of my big girl job, I'd have to have somewhere legal to practice. Can't risk drifting on the streets or in parking lots like when I was a kid. Growing up sucks. Sounds like some of the old guys are interested in getting back into it though. But I heard Heartland Park might be tanking?

We've never encouraged the streets, but also won't deny how much we all learned there. We really need a cheap lot in KC that we can abuse for practice days. HPT has been for sale for years, they just finally made plans to sell to the city. Then they got in trouble over the details of the deal. I don't know a lot, but I'm told they'll probably be open at least part of this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 am 
Drift Newb

I for one am aiming to launch a campaign that pushes drifters to think differently.... Right now yes the drift scene is almost dead but there are a few of us who are making a comeback for 2015! I now push my fellow drifters to focus on success and getting better jobs or simply getting into new friends and going after big people jobs. Because we need money not chase our dreams and passions. I've seen so many projects get sold "because of lack of funds" it makes me want to punch a kitten! We need to get up stop being depressed get around our fellow drift buddies get inspired and start figuring out how to make things work. We need to create an atmosphere of encouragement. There had been so drama that u could say is responsible for some of the deterioration of the scene but I know me and some of the administration will not stand for it anymore. No more bullying or hating. U know?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 am 
Proven Drifter

That's why most of my crew stopped drifting...we all were trying to either get ourselves through college or move out and live on our own and ran out of money for tires and parts. Has anybody looked into partnerships with tire places? I know they have something like that going out in STL and get steep discounts/free tires. A few of the guys even have sponsorships...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 pm 
Event Coordinator

jayhawkjoe wrote:
That's why most of my crew stopped drifting...we all were trying to either get ourselves through college or move out and live on our own and ran out of money for tires and parts. Has anybody looked into partnerships with tire places? I know they have something like that going out in STL and get steep discounts/free tires. A few of the guys even have sponsorships...

Looked into and had for a while. MDU had deals with Kenda for the Pro-AM drivers, and the only sponsored drivers I know of of were also competing in MDU. The big discounts on tires only start when you can order pallets at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm 
Event Coordinator

TOKYO wrote:
Right now yes the drift scene is almost dead

I'm pretty sure there are more "drift" cars in KC now than there ever have been. Event attendance over the last 2 years seems like there are as well. The smallest event in 2014 was 18 drivers I think. And we had 1 STL driver all year. Most of those guys are local.

Now, outside of events, yes, people have separated into much smaller groups. It's been 2+ years since we filled the dining room at a Jack-in-the-Box an hour after deciding we were meeting up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:14 pm 
Drift Newb

"drift newb" should say Tokyo....
#glitchmuch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:08 pm 
Event Coordinator

TOKYO wrote:
#glitchmuch

That's automatically updated with your post count. Try posting more than 6 times in 9 years lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:27 am 
Feint Drifter

musicianrob wrote:
TOKYO wrote:
#glitchmuch

That's automatically updated with your post count. Try posting more than 6 times in 9 years lol

I liked to feint!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm 
Proven Drifter

call me dk lol

1990 240sx coupe-Sold
1988 Supra-traded
1994 Q45(VIP BOSS)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:24 pm 
Proven Drifter

This is all stuff I've thought about and talked at lengths with Greg about.

1. Forum dying. We've been watching this for the past couple years. You coming back to it just recently probably did give you a bit of a surprise. Activity has been on the slow decline. Facebook seems quite popular for a lot of this stuff now. I'm finally doing more and more on there (but those 240/schassis groups are the worst; just a bunch of idiots posting memes). FB lacks the community feel a forum has in my opinion.

2. Scene dying/growing. Rob says the numbers are up so no arguing with that. That's positive no matter how you look at it.

3. Money / Life / Cars. This is the big one in making drifting a viable hobby for the majority of people into drifting - balancing money. It seems like a lot of 240 owners work at Autozone or some other job that doesn't afford them expendable income (which they usually cry about on the internet), BUT BUT BUT they think they need to build some 400hp, forged internal, caged, track car to go drifting. This impossible - and totally unnecessary - build destroys them financially and they work for the next X number of years "being into drifting" buying one part for their car (likely used) once every couple months when they can scrounge the money together. This is going about it all wrong and this mindset is killing the scene.

A lot of these same people idolize the Japanese car scene completely ignoring how basic the Japanese cars are - no tube fronts, no tubs, no weld-in cages, all bolt on parts, tuned ECUs, etc. Welders, benders, and materials to fabricate that stuff is insanely expensive here and people don't have the space for it to DIY. Americans have access to all this stuff cheap (in comparison) and the American mentality of "keeping up with the Jones'" and "bigger is better" comes out and we get these ridiculous car builds for dudes who have no idea how to drive. American drifting beginners just keep seeing the same list of "necessary mods" to drift and end up building (or part it out before they finish) something completely beyond what's required to have fun at the track.

4. Cars of drifting. We've hit a really good period recently where some really good cars are becoming affordable for drift car bases. Seeing what decent 240's are going for now, there are many cars available with better bang for the buck. Top of the list is a 350Z. The VQ provides great power and if you leave it pretty well stock you should have great reliability. After all, didn't Rolando almost win MDU with a stock VQ in his 350Z. You don't need crazy horsepower. And they can be had for like $6k? The SN95 "new edge" Mustang GT's (dare I say it) with a bit more development will be great bases. V8 power/torque all stock and for less than/same amount as a clean S13 - like $5k but 10+ years newer with a great powerplant. BMWs; they're the Euro 240 so there's plenty of knowledge out there to make them drift. E46's are reasonably priced just don't have the power.

So instead of "getting a deal" on that stripped S13 shell for $250 to build over the next 5 years a couple hundred bucks at a time. Have some patience, self control, and diligence and do yourself a favor - save your pennies for a while and buy something that will let you have fun right away.

TL;DR

People need to learn how to live within their budgets and be reasonable about what they can afford if they want to pursue drifting as a viable hobby. If you want to pursue "putting parts on a car that is going to sit on jackstands for the next 5 or so years while you tell your people you're into drifting" then keep on as you were.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 pm 
Proven Drifter

Holy shit. AMEN Steven!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:46 pm 
Proven Drifter

This is the most posts in months.

Time for a KCdrift forum revival meet. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:02 pm 

Still here, from day one. :)
Though forums in general only seem to be good for classifieds now, and I am selling my car.
But there is a possibility I may have another car this summer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:01 pm 
Event Coordinator

steven wrote:
This is all stuff I've thought about and talked at lengths with Greg about.

1. Forum dying. We've been watching this for the past couple years. You coming back to it just recently probably did give you a bit of a surprise. Activity has been on the slow decline. Facebook seems quite popular for a lot of this stuff now. I'm finally doing more and more on there (but those 240/schassis groups are the worst; just a bunch of idiots posting memes). FB lacks the community feel a forum has in my opinion.

2. Scene dying/growing. Rob says the numbers are up so no arguing with that. That's positive no matter how you look at it.

3. Money / Life / Cars. This is the big one in making drifting a viable hobby for the majority of people into drifting - balancing money. It seems like a lot of 240 owners work at Autozone or some other job that doesn't afford them expendable income (which they usually cry about on the internet), BUT BUT BUT they think they need to build some 400hp, forged internal, caged, track car to go drifting. This impossible - and totally unnecessary - build destroys them financially and they work for the next X number of years "being into drifting" buying one part for their car (likely used) once every couple months when they can scrounge the money together. This is going about it all wrong and this mindset is killing the scene.

A lot of these same people idolize the Japanese car scene completely ignoring how basic the Japanese cars are - no tube fronts, no tubs, no weld-in cages, all bolt on parts, tuned ECUs, etc. Welders, benders, and materials to fabricate that stuff is insanely expensive here and people don't have the space for it to DIY. Americans have access to all this stuff cheap (in comparison) and the American mentality of "keeping up with the Jones'" and "bigger is better" comes out and we get these ridiculous car builds for dudes who have no idea how to drive. American drifting beginners just keep seeing the same list of "necessary mods" to drift and end up building (or part it out before they finish) something completely beyond what's required to have fun at the track.

4. Cars of drifting. We've hit a really good period recently where some really good cars are becoming affordable for drift car bases. Seeing what decent 240's are going for now, there are many cars available with better bang for the buck. Top of the list is a 350Z. The VQ provides great power and if you leave it pretty well stock you should have great reliability. After all, didn't Rolando almost win MDU with a stock VQ in his 350Z. You don't need crazy horsepower. And they can be had for like $6k? The SN95 "new edge" Mustang GT's (dare I say it) with a bit more development will be great bases. V8 power/torque all stock and for less than/same amount as a clean S13 - like $5k but 10+ years newer with a great powerplant. BMWs; they're the Euro 240 so there's plenty of knowledge out there to make them drift. E46's are reasonably priced just don't have the power.

So instead of "getting a deal" on that stripped S13 shell for $250 to build over the next 5 years a couple hundred bucks at a time. Have some patience, self control, and diligence and do yourself a favor - save your pennies for a while and buy something that will let you have fun right away.

TL;DR

People need to learn how to live within their budgets and be reasonable about what they can afford if they want to pursue drifting as a viable hobby. If you want to pursue "putting parts on a car that is going to sit on jackstands for the next 5 or so years while you tell your people you're into drifting" then keep on as you were.

When are you coming home?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:51 pm 
Kansei Drifter

Location: drifting in my mind or online. possibly in a car or on a bike. maybe in a train.
I feel that having a car within your means is the best idea. I cannot afford expensive parts or big engine upgrades, but I still go drifting. I have learned a lot in the couple of years I have been around, and will continue to do so.

I've never driven a car at an event much over 150 HP. So if I get this mustang done it should get interesting.

Save the forums!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 pm 
Proven Drifter

I usually hate on Mustangs, but I refuse to hate on Mustangs that drift! When I watch the guys in the "big leagues" drift, it's hard to remember you can have a shit ton of fun without tons and tons of horsepower. That's why I'd love to become a part of the local scene again. You guys don't hate on guys with less than like 600-900HP. I like the feel of the 150-300 range myself, but I'm also kind of a wuss lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:15 pm 
Kansei Drifter

Location: drifting in my mind or online. possibly in a car or on a bike. maybe in a train.
Once the front suspension is modified, and a panhard bar installed, the 79-04 mustang chassis really wakes up for drifting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 pm 
Proven Drifter

Rob, maybe later this year. I know I've been saying that for a while now but the paperwork is tumbling around in the system waiting on the visa. So we're kind of at their mercy at how fast they can process that.

MustaRolla wrote:
Once the front suspension is modified, and a panhard bar installed, the 79-04 mustang chassis really wakes up for drifting.

We're hoping to explore this more in the future. First general skim of the web (Doug Van Den Brink) said they are pretty probe to snap steering/spinning with the solid rear axle. Cobra IRS was the easy shortcut swap but kind of kills the budget factor of the GT platform. That's a discussion for another time/thread but I'm actually really stoked on seeing Mustangs get better developed to broaden the affordable drift car base.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:43 pm 
Drift Newb

How does one become a kc drifter? How do I get initiated into this gang?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:14 pm 
Proven Drifter

Show up to events, make positive additions to the drift scene in KC, etc. They also have quite a bit of merchandise you can wear/put on your car to promote KC Drift.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:52 pm 
Drift Newb

jayhawkjoe wrote:
Show up to events, make positive additions to the drift scene in KC, etc. They also have quite a bit of merchandise you can wear/put on your car to promote KC Drift.

I plan on going to all the events I can this year, Anyone know of a set date or around when the first event is usually scheduled?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:03 pm 
Event Coordinator

Smoket wrote:
jayhawkjoe wrote:

I plan on going to all the events I can this year, Anyone know of a set date or around when the first event is usually scheduled?

Super sad. This thread got dropped.

We had no events in 2015.

We may not have any in 2016.

I miss drifting...