The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 pm 
Kansei Drifter

Im looking for help to get my 240 hatch running. Its a 91 with a ka24de and it wont start even with a new motor. Im hoping someone who is pretty good with wiring could help me out cause its driving me crazy. I think its in the wiring cause I have compression about 155 all cylinders, Spark, and fuel. It cranks but will not start. Just replaced the fuel pump, checked distributor timing and checked some wires, but still nothing. Im desperately trying to get this car running. I will get the beer or whatever of your choice to come look and if we figure it out ill pay atleast 50 bucks. I need a hand guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:42 am 
Feint Drifter

If you're sure your pump is working and you're getting spark, maybe injectors? I would start checking my grounds and injector pulse.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:29 pm 

Is the rotor facing the #1 spark plug wire with the crank at 20 degrees before tdc? This is where it should be!

To check the injector pulse: 1. Remove distributor assembly from engine (crankshaft position sensor harness connector should remain connected) 2. Disconnect ignition coil harness connector. 3. Turn ignition switch on (do not start vehicle) LOL 4. When rotating crankshaft position sensor shaft (distributor shaft) does each injector make an operating sound (clicking)?
This is from the FSM, section EF & EC, page 67 under Diagnostic Procedure 6 - Hard to start or impossible to start under normal conditions.
If you haven't downloaded the pdf version of the FSM, then I highly recommend it.
Here is the link to all of the pertinent info: http://forums.nicoclub.com/240sx-fsm-full-service-manuals-s13-s14-ka24e-ka24de-t311075.html
I printed mine and put it in a 3 inch binder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:54 pm 

Just read some of your previous posts and realized that you already have an FSM, but its there for anyone who needs to download it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:05 pm 
Kansei Drifter

Ive checked what I know to be grounds but being my first swap ever not to mention for my car, I dont know if i'm missing something. I do know I have two plugs not plugged in other than my knock sensor cause the harness plug broke. The two plugs are grey and sit over by the battery tray (ill get a pic soon). And I checked timing a few times and was good. But your instructions confused the hell out of me for a minute until I opened the fsm to the page ... Step four got me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:09 pm 

Ya, I hear you. Here is a revised step 4. While holding the distributor in your hand, turn the distributor shaft slowly by the teeth at the bottom! LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:41 pm 
Kansei Drifter

Alright I tested and I have no click. So onto checking the circuit for the injectors after i ohm the injectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:45 pm 
Kansei Drifter

NEWS : I got it running. I found a wire that was stuck to a plug that was a ground to my injectors. Plugged it in and got the car running. Now i need to get it to stay running and I can manage from there, May just need to set idle but I dont know yet. Will run and rev fine as long as you give it gas but comeoff the throttle and it dies. Side note the iacv screw is all the way in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:30 pm 
Kansei Drifter

I got it running and idling ... Idles ok but sounds terrible. Really bad rattling clicking noise in the valve cover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:31 pm 
Kansei Drifter

http://youtu.be/YFd-Kt-CS1M

That's a YouTube link to my car running tonight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:18 pm 

Could it be the notorious upper timing chain guides? I recently found out that my car's problem was that the lower left (driver's side) timing chain guide was disintegrated allowing the chain to rub against the inside of the lower timing cover enough to wear through the inside of it and allow coolant into the lower end. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:37 pm 
Kansei Drifter

I thought so too, so I took the valve cover and front timing cover off to find out the tensioner was jammed kinda and wasnt adding tension to the chain. I got it free and checked around, I dont have an upper guide and the side one was there but i didnt look to closely. This is a motor I bought as a "running motor". Bad news is I think its a full blown KNOCK. its constant and speeds up or slows down with the rpm and is loud.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 pm 
Kansei Drifter

I also found this though. Its just like mine I have the front lower (1st cylinder) exhaust mani bolt broke just like this video. I might try that tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acoOmn1bM-k

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:14 am 

Hmmmmm...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:14 pm 
Kansei Drifter

Can a failed power steering pump make the rattling knocking noise? Cause mine just blew out fluid everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:32 pm 
Proven Drifter

Bad pump bearings make weird noises, but they click/thunk sometimes. I have only had issues with a power steering pump one car.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:05 am 
Kansei Drifter

I kinda doubt thats the cause though from all the noise its making.