The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:43 am 

No wiring problems for awhile now! Got some parts from Jedi Master Derek last night. Now to find time to install. I need to install new clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinders, pilot bushing, replace input shaft bearing in trans, swap axles and driveshaft, and install Derek spec rlca's!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:34 pm 
King of Pics and Vids

Glad to hear you got her running again!

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:09 pm 

Small update: Saturday night at DIY I changed out the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and slave cylinder. The majority of the infamous "clunk" is gone! For those of you who weren't there and didn't see it, the springs in the clutch fell out when the pressure plate was removed. No springs in the clutch causes a hell of alot of play in the transmission which was obviously traveling down the drivetrain and being heard in the rear of the car. The clutch is so much more responsive without the damn dampener in the line either! I can now idle along in first gear and hit the gas and instantly burn rubber!!! Thanks to everyone for all of their input, suggestions, and help. Special thanks to David in Cameron for the clutch and flywheel and all the other parts I've gotten from you! Thanks to DIY for the use of the facility. Thanks Derek for the parts I got last week. I haven't installed the rlca's yet, but plan to do that before the event.

I know I don't have time to do this before the event, but one of my next projects for the car is a little hard to explain. Here goes:
Does everyone remember the low sounding stainless exhaust that I had on the car? It is a two piece catback. When installed, the front section fits really tight against the underside of the car. It bangs and rattles against the bolt for the driver's side seatbelt that goes into the exhaust channel, and the hanger support rod doesn't line up too good with the hanger assembly. What I want to do is fabricate a steel 2 1/2" exhaust section to replace the forward section of the stainless pipe, and use the aft section of the stainless. At first I removed the stainless catback because it didn't give me the right amount of back pressure for any good power. The car was just sluggish with it on there. Hence, why I didn't seem to have any power to slide at the events. I think that using a 2 1/2" forward section will be the ticket to maintaining the power as well as allowing me to have the stainless muffler which looks a whole lot better. Any comments or suggestions for this are welcome. I know I could just cut the seatbelt bolt flush with the nut to alleviate some of the rattle, but that doesn't help the back pressure issue. Suggestions, ok's, input?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 pm 
King of Pics and Vids

2 1/2" straight pipe would be perfect.

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 am 
Proven Drifter

I ran 2.5" on the pirate, loved it.
Have the same on the miata, a tad big for a 1.8, but turbos like free flow.

I can bring the welder and saw to a DIY event. not that hard to make/fix exhaust if you have tubing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:56 pm 

Where is the best place to buy the tubing and the two flanges? Without a pipe bender I'm sure I'll need some elbows too. We have a welder at work that is fool proof and a metal chop saw too. I could do this, just need to know where to buy piping and flanges. Thanks for the input and offer!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 pm 
Proven Drifter

Summit racing. I did chop and weld, no bends.

But a box of 5, 2.5" flanges was ~$20 I have some (4?) left if you didn't want to buy a whole box.
2.5" tubing was $12 per 4foot for fairly heavy guage way thicker than oreillys stuff

mandral bends are $15 or so, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:35 pm 

nice! I'll check out their site!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:54 pm 

Well, the car ran like a champ at the event yesterday. No clutch or transmission issues. I finally got the feel for everything about the time the sun started to set. Pink Floyd on the ipod seemed to help me relax and get in a groove! Thanks to everyone who helped get Leia ready for this event over the past few months. If you supplied parts or helped at DIY, you know who you are. Thank you!!! This is the only event I've been able to make this year.

I am having an issue with the handbrake handle locking. The handle is shot and needs replaced. I removed the spring and installed the spin knob a few years ago, but the hinge of the handle is worn out and the handle needs to be replaced. I'm thinking of fabricating a new one with a different angle so the handle is 90 degrees and easier to pull. Planning on doing a hydro soon to replace all of this, but I figure I can fabricate a new non-locking handle pretty quick on the cheap for now. Also, my driver's side rear brake caliper is leaking. I just rebuilt the passenger side earlier this spring. I bought both kits for both sides, so now I guess its time for the ds.

Thanks to Mike and Dustin for all the pointers over the years. Now it just comes down to more seat time and learning to relax.
My birthday is September 17th and I'll be 41. Here's what I want for my birthday: A jack like we used at the track yesterday. One like Dan's. It was actually low enough to get under my rear subframe mounts. There were three sitting there in the pits by Dan's truck. Are these Harbor freight, or what? Just buy me one for my birthday so I don't have to worry about where to get one!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:06 am 

Little update: I put my 3 inch exhaust back on the car. Shaved down the seatbelt bolt so the exhaust wouldn't rattle against it.
Replaced the ps pump at the last DIY meet. Still have the rack to replace, but waiting for the right time.
In the process of moving the battery to the trunk so I can route the intake piping to stay on the passenger side. You know, stuff that all the cool people have already done!
Also I put my HUD cluster back in the dash and used red leds for the cluster. Changed the color of my clock to green too.
Found another ebrake handle out of a red coupe at the Kansas yard yesterday afternoon. Mine is original and wore out and was locking and stiff at the last event.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:12 am 
Supreme Nut

Add creepy post here. I now know where you live. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:24 am 

How so, Paul?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:35 pm 
Proven Drifter

i like the name of this build thread. lol

1990 240sx coupe-Sold
1988 Supra-traded
1994 Q45(VIP BOSS)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:59 pm 
Supreme Nut

Nerfherder wrote:
How so, Paul?

Was out in lees summit with Jonathan picked up someone that lives right by you. Near the bk and walmart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:21 pm 

Yep, that's me! Right there on the corner of Ridgeview and Swann. Everyone calls this part of Lee's Summit "Sin City". It's better than where we were in Independence though!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm 

A lot of work was done during the month of October, but I never seem to remember to take pics of the process or update this thread.
I changed out the exhaust once again and installed a Thrush Turbo muffler between the test pipe and the rear subframe. The car is much quieter now and I haven't noticed much loss in the power area. For the winter I'm really not worried about power. I can always change out the exhaust when I want it louder. It still has enough sound to be noticeable though and overall I'm happy with it.
At the last DIY meet I changed out the rlcas for the ones I bought from Derek that were on Whitey. They had newish balljoints and energy suspension poly bushings already pressed in. At the same time I lowered the car some more. When finished it was even to about a 1/4" higher than Rob's car in the rear.
Today I changed out the driver's side seat belt from the auto S13 one to a manual S14 seatbelt I picked up at the JY. Its greenish but I don't give a shit. No more rattling seatbelt track and having to undo two seatbelts to get out of the car!
More to come as I remember what the hell I've been doing.
Also, If anyone is interested, my work is hiring again. Talk to Rob or myself to learn a bit more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 pm 
Proven Drifter

Pics or it didn't happen...lol

Email: ProfoundMotorsports@gmail.com

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 pm 

So last week I put the 3" stainless exhaust back on! I'll admit, the muffler underneath didn't exactly work out as planned. Its just been too damn cold to do anything lately.

Post subject: Why bother anymore.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am 

No updates. :( Car is falling apart. :cry: Bad rear end vibrations. :evil: No garage. :roll: No time. :cry: No money. :cry: Rain. :evil: Snow. :evil: Cold. :evil: Depression. :cry: :cry:

Post subject: Re: Why bother anymore.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am 
Proven Drifter

atleast you have an engine in the car. lol

1990 240sx coupe-Sold
1988 Supra-traded
1994 Q45(VIP BOSS)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:01 pm 
Proven Drifter

Nerfherder wrote:
No updates. :( Car is falling apart. :cry: Bad rear end vibrations. :evil: No garage. :roll: No time. :cry: No money. :cry: Rain. :evil: Snow. :evil: Cold. :evil: Depression. :cry: :cry:

I'd help you with the car if I could!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am 
Proven Drifter

Drive it till it dies. It never will...or at least for awhile.

Email: ProfoundMotorsports@gmail.com

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'm just tired of waiting for the weather to warm up and not having a garage to work in. Hopefully in a week or so we will start to see better temperatures. I love this car and I'll never get rid of it. So don't anyone start asking for parts. On the other hand, you can ask for money if you have some stuff I want. S13 5 speed driveshaft, 6 bolt axles with good threads, or any aftermarket S13 arms!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 am 
Proven Drifter

Yeah its been to cold for me to really do anything either... I hear Friday is supposed to be in the 70s... WORK TIME!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm 

Nerfherder wrote:
Hopefully in a week or so we will start to see better temperatures.

Nevermind. I was fucking wrong! Packing the UHaul to move to San Diego right now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next