The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 pm 

Most all of you already know my car. I am the second owner. The original owner is my best friend's sister. She bought it new in 1989 while we were in High School. I rode with her in the car when it left the dealership. 16 years later I bought it for $500. I've owned it since 2005 and been with Kcda since 2009 and I've never made a build thread. I just never thought of it. I read everyone else's build threads, but never really thought of making one for my car. It's not really a build, it's more of a maintaining thread. Sure, I've got big plans for it, but life gets in the way sometimes and you just have to deal with it and try to keep the car running. I've done quite a bit to the car over the years, some things good, some great, some not so great. Learning the hard way sucks and we've all been there. Don't say you haven't.
Here goes:
White 1989 Nissan 240sx hatchback
Car name: Leia (I'm a Star Wars fan if you couldn't tell)
Engine: KA24DE (Technically the third engine in the car. The first two were SOHC. I've only changed it out once though)
Hyperdrive: Series 401 Hyperdrive Motivator!
Time circuits: Flux Capacitor driven by Mr. Fusion!
Exhaust: No name stainless steel header, test pipe, 3" stainless catback. Low rumbling sound.
Transmission: S14
Differential: S14 LSD 6 bolt axles
Suspension: No name rucas, Megan street coilovers (affordable), stock traction and toe rods, Energy suspension polyurethane subframe bushings (not spacers).
Wheels: depends on which day you ask me! 7 spoke SE's, steelies, 17" SR racing 5 spokes, and soon some 15x7 Prime 3 spokes (inexpensive hand me downs are my friend)
Interior: HUD (in a hatch, I know!), S14 seats, interior panels are all original and used to be brown. Vinyl paint is awesome if you prep it right!
Brakes: stock
Body: pignose w/ lip
This car has undergone a lot of changes since I bought it. I'll post up some pics from the day I bought it and all the changes up to now. That should get us all up to date.
but not tonight!

Last edited by Nerfherder on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 am 
Proven Drifter

I think it deserves a thread.

You have had this almost as long as I have been driving.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 am 
Proven Drifter

I heard that it made the Kessel run in only 12 parsecs :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:22 pm 

Mad Mav wrote:
I heard that it made the Kessel run in only 12 parsecs :mrgreen:

Less than 12 parsecs!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 am 

Ok, I know, its been a minute.
I'm currently in the process of taking out and de-pinning all of the wiring in the wiring harness for the engine. I'll be rewrapping it with new loom and rerouting alot of it.
I saw Steve (Iceman) today and got the tune updated. I can't wait to try it out, but I wanna get this wiring harness done and installed first. I'm changing over the connector for the MAF while I do the harness so it'll be a plug and play install. The wiring harness will be so much simpler and cleaner and alot smaller in diameter with all the unneeded wires removed.
Installed the Prime 3 spoke wheels last week. 15x7 with +38 offset. 195/50R15 tires. It affected my speedo a bit, but I surely won't be speeding now. Its about 5 mph slower than what the speedo says.
Still need to install axles and see if that fixes the annoying clunk from the rear end. If it doesn't fix the problem, then I'm just gonna put the stock open diff back in. Fuck it! I'm so sick of that noise!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:43 am 

The day I bought her 2005!
And then a few months later with Eibach Sportlines and SE wheels.
My Kade when I got it home from Pick N Pull
And during the rebuild process May 2008
Installed in the car! The red wire loom is going away. Back in Black now!
Stock manifold vs. Stainless header. It hit the steering knuckle, so modifications were in order.
Trying on the new wheels
Really need some rear toe arms so my aftermarket rucas can do their job!
Most recent look
I'm thinking of going back to white on the lip and need to reinstall my wheel well covers!
Reinstalled the lit sleepy eyes mod last night. I'll get up some picks of that!
Thinking of doing a DIY version of this. They modified the headlight arms to only open so far. Why couldn't I find some projectors in the JY and build my own mounts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300616416694?ss ... 695wt_1396
I'll keep updating as I do things! More to come!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 pm 
Proven Drifter

Damn dude that motor looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:05 pm 

It still does to this day after a wash! The valve cover has faded down to a nice burnt orange look alot like the color of Dustin's Battered Woman!
Tomorrow morning I am finishing up the wiring harness and will be installing it along with a G70 maf and my updated BearPaw tune!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm 
Proven Drifter

Sounds like some of what I need to accomplish too! Gotta finish the wiring on my hoopty and hook the maf up on mine too... MAN that motor looks good of yours!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 pm 
Proven Drifter

Oh yeah... Was gonna ask you too, where did you get your header from?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:39 am 

I ordered mine from an ebay seller. I can't remember who, but I do know that it took about 3 months to get it. I put on the stock manifold and downpipe until it finally showed up. I won't buy from them again. One of the pipes hit the steering knuckle where the column meets the rack. I think Melvin has one similar for sale in a thread though and it has been modified to clear the knuckle. I plan on wrapping mine with heat wrap. Its has lost its shine and isn't so pretty anymore.
As far as my motor goes, I spent about a year cleaning and painting the parts during the rebuild. I would only spend about 2 hours each night here and there on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 am 
Proven Drifter

Thats ridiculous... Yeah I originally thought about buying one off ebay but I have doubts... And those doubts are the exact problems which I fear... Getting left with junk! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:16 pm 

Got the redone harness in along with the BearPaw and the G70 MAF. All I can say is HOLY SHIT. I haven't really tested it all out yet, but from what I can see just driving around the neighborHOOD, there is alot of change for the better. Might need to adjust the idle and timing a bit, but got her sideways with minimal effort in the school parking lot!

Last edited by Nerfherder on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:37 pm 
Proven Drifter

VIDEO RECORDING TIME! MUST SHARE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:44 pm 

I need to get a driver upgrade before doing any more video. You can see the videos I do have on youtube by going to my page. Ammoman1971
http://www.youtube.com/user/ammoman1971?feature=mhee
Most recent drift videos are from the September event.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 pm 
Proven Drifter

Driver just need more break in, like a clutch.
Take it easy, then mile 1000, you can floor it. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:52 pm 

Ha Ha Pal! I just need more practice, some more advice, and some ride alongs. 2 events over the past 3 years isn't enough.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:39 pm 
Proven Drifter

***Subscribed*** ! ! ! I'm going to faildrift when I try it for the first time LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:53 am 

As long as you are having fun doing it then it isn't a fail! I've done whole events with only changing the rear tires once! I had fun and that's all that mattered.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:11 pm 
Proven Drifter

Alls I have to say is I'm ready to roast some tires... Gotta buy a set of extras though!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:28 pm 

Changed out the harness and put back in the original. For some reason the idle wasn't kicking up when the ac compressor turned on. Now with the original harness back in it still doesn't kick up the idle. I think the problem is in the subharness for the IACVs underneath the intake.
Also had Steve solder on a jumper wire and install a new diode on the ecu motherboard. For some reason on the 5th of July I blew the diode and burnt out the trace on the motherboard. Been running the stock ecu and Maf all week.
Something is wrong with my exhaust and I'll have to change that out too. It hits the underside of the car and makes a really annoying rattle. I never did think the hangers were welded in the right spots and it just never seemed to fit correctly. Back to the steel 2" with muffler! At least I know it clears everything!
Still haven't changed out the axles. The axle nuts won't thread onto them, so I'll have to doctor the threads to make them work. Hopefully that clears up the rear clunk. If it doesn't, then I'm gonna change out the driveshaft. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going back to OPEN diff! Fuck it!
Still need to remove the transmission and install new clutch and pressure plate. With the transmission out, I'll also replace the input shaft bearing. Needs new pilot bushing too. While I'm at it I'll bypass the clutch damper by running the master cylinder line straight to the rubber slave line.
Just seems like I can't get ahead lately with the car. That is all for my list to do mechanically, then there's the body work. Maybe I'll get all this done by the time I'm 41.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 pm 

Changed out the exhaust this morning. No more exhaust banging! Put SE wheels and steelies back on. The three spokes where out of balance and I can't afford to do that right now. Still have a clunk in the rear. Driveshaft is next!
Put the newly refurbished/repaired BearPaw tuned ecu in with the G70 MAF and its working great so far! Thanks Steve! You're awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:46 pm 

The 30amp Ignition fuse in the box under the hood by the battery keeps popping about once a day. Time to study a wiring diagram more closely and find the problem. The troubleshooting guide in the electrical section of the FSM should help too! If it ain't one thing its another. :roll:
As a side note, this problem happens whether I use the bearpaw ecu with the G70 maf or the stock ecu with the stock maf. FML.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:24 am 
King of Pics and Vids

Nerfherder wrote:
The 30amp Ignition fuse in the box under the hood by the battery keeps popping about once a day. Time to study a wiring diagram more closely and find the problem. The troubleshooting guide in the electrical section of the FSM should help too! If it ain't one thing its another. :roll:
As a side note, this problem happens whether I use the bearpaw ecu with the G70 maf or the stock ecu with the stock maf. FML.

wiring is my arch nemesis, i hate it more than anything else in life.

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:18 pm 

I don't mind wiring when the problem is obvious. What sucks is when something happens and you don't know why!