The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:09 pm 
Proven Drifter

Update Time!

I left off with an open question, "What LS will i be going with?"
I spent a week weighing the pros and cons along with the long term and short term advantages and disadvantages of alot of the LS series engines, and then I got a tip from a buddy that there was a wrecked C6 Z06 for sale at a local wrecker....hmmmm

So yeah, I wanted a motor that I could have reliable 500hp without doing a cam, heads, or whatever. Along with the ability to upgrade and get mad amounts of more power easily as I progress through the sport of drifting over the next few years. Basically I just want to reduce the amount of headaches I get every week, because truly, drifting sucks...and I have no idea whats wrong with me to have the dire need to keep doing it.

So i took a MAJOR chunk out of my savings and took a chance on buying this Corvette in hopes to partout the car and basically get the LS7 for the price of an SR swap...or better yet free if i make my money back!

SO first things first, I tore the engine down to this...which took like 15 mins, I love how easy these motors are to work on.

And took it to the machine shop to get inspected because the corvette was hit HARD! Hence the reason I even considered getting the whole car was because it was fairly cheap for what it was.

Topeka Rd. 2

So by now in this build thread you should realize that I really enjoy drifting, no matter what my situation is with my track car I always find a way to drive local events. So May 25th, I went out to KCDrifts event at Heartland Park Topeka just to drift with the bros.

I really enjoy playing with walls, but on one run I came in a tad offline and just tapped the wall! NFG.

I looked at the damage on the bumper and went back out, kept at it, even borrowed a pair of tires to drive even more. lol

Anyways back to the weekday grind, I got my car all ready for the new drivetrain.

Pulled my front calipers, stripped them and repainted them.

I also got my rear calipers painted up along with the rotors to keep them from rusting once on the car..

Installed my rear calipers, cant wait to lock these up on track!!!!!

Since the Corvettes T56 is a rear mounted transaxle I had to get a normal t56 to use with the LS7. I got a GTO t56 I picked one up for pretty cheap but when I got it came with no bellhousing or shifter......I was kinda ticked off but I got all that sorted and new stuff on the way :(

The next day I got a call from my machine shop saying that I needed to come in and look at something that might halt my build.
Turns out the Corvette was wrecked so hard that it bent the crank snout on the LS7.

At that point I had everything ordered to install my LS swap, the SR partout pretty much paid for most of the swap stuff, but I was super bummed that now I had to put in a new crank into the LS7 and all the machine shop labor and to think the Corvette only had 5732 miles on it!

So I decided that I was gonna go drifting that following weekend, just to get my mind off my bad luck.

St. Louis:

I mounted up some fresh rubber:

Stuffed my car with tires, and headed out to STL.

I crashed at my buddy Steves house and then headed out in the morning to Gateway Motorsports Park.

The parking lot event was super RAD, the blacktop was fresh so it was super slick and wasted no tire yet still let you make good smoke. Even the LS dudes didnt even go through a pair of tires all day.

Heres a video of one of my runs, nothing special. Still searching for video of my tandem runs, Ill post that up when i find some.

It was a super fun weekend with the STL bros, STL is seriously one of the best drift scenes ive ever been around, I should just move there.

Tuesday I went back to the shop and among other things I pulled my Fortune Auto Coils and sent them off to FA to get rebuilt! Ive never had issues with them but theyre two years old and I have the break in the season that I figured why not. Ive been super pumped all season to have Fortune Auto apart of my program and stoked about being able to tweak them to match my new drivetrain.

Last update I promised an announcement, so what better time then now to announce my new sponsorship for the 2013 season and future seasons to come! Fueled Racing, has seriously helped me out with getting everything I need to make my LS7 a drop in engine swap. Im stoked to have them on board and the opportunity to run their products on my car! More details on my swap kit will be on the next update, but I will be retaining the LS7's dry sump setup!

[url="https://fueledracing.com/"]https://fueledracing.com/[/url]

So thats about it for now, my next update should have the following:
-(Kinda) Built LS7
-Awesome Parts from Fueled Racing and Import Image Racing!
-Other Cool Drifty Stuff.

Thanks, Stay Tuned!

Email: ProfoundMotorsports@gmail.com

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:21 am 
Feint Drifter

Damn, that vette got ROCKED!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 pm 
King of Pics and Vids

X3N wrote:
Damn, that vette got what is deserved!

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm 
Proven Drifter

Update Time!

So I left off with me being home from STL, i had pretty much everything for my swap on the from Import Image Racing and Fueled Racing, and the motor was at the machine shop.

One of the first things to arrive were my DSS Axles, i figured Ive had enough time on the sidelines so a broken axle wouldnt be an option, Now just gotta stock up on diffs...

So at round 1 of MDU I picked up a Smashed USA Hood for my S14 because my car needed more aggressive-ness.

Got it on, scuffed it, and cut holes for my aero catch pins:

Got Paint for it:

Painted it along with my bumper and a buddys rocket bunny wing.

Then I had a homie come down and teach me how to cut and buff, and that made this hood LOOK GOOD!

I sent off my spare S14 KA harnesses and LS7 harness to Jordan Innovations to get modified into a plug and play harness with some extras!

I got my GTO Bellhousing and Shifter:

I was stockpiling parts in my room:

I threw my axles on the car:

So probably the second biggest thing that happen these past couple weeks was that I got rid of my 350z...

I traded it for this 1JZ S13 Hatch with some goodies and some cash ontop:

Came with Full OEM Type X kit and tails in the mail:

R32 F/R brakes and these Evo Recaros:

And bought this truck to tow my S14 across the country with the cash ontop...

So the S13 was running amazing and then it wasnt....yeah so first thing I did with it was...
Rip its heart out.... :(

I spent like two hours and buffed the paint on it, if it didnt have dings all over, it would look like a million bucks

Heres where thats at right now slowly getting in parts for it and finding time to work on it

Anyways back to the S14.

After weeks of setbacks and headaches, I got my motor back.
I threw an ACT Prolite and HD clutch on it, Much thanks to ACT for their support this year.

The LS7 ended up getting a new Eagle forged crank, Clevite coated bearings, and ARP everything.
Its ready to PARTY!

First thing I did once I got it back was my signature sunrise wrinkle red valve covers, takes 7 coats with three different spray cans, but it looks DOPE!

I had an all night pre event Jam sesh with my Homie Phil Dark who had to do a headgasket so he could drive the next day. My shops always open for my homies who need to use it. And I worked on getting my LS in the 14.

SO YEAH, BOOOOOOM!

Got the motor in, went to a kcdrift event in topeka, sadly without a car but got to drive like 8 different cars there. Thanks again to those dudes who let me drive their whips.

Came back sunday and worked alittle:
Put in my gnarly Fueled racing alum. driveshaft:

Heres where I ended Monday night, I got most of the front suspension back on as well as some other stuff.

Pulled my stock fuel lines to run my SS Fueled Racing lines:

I got my Fueled Racing headers in and some PS lines:

I bought a 2"x50' roll of Heat wrap and that ended up only being enough for one header...so that ended my thursday night early:

So today I bought all my fittings, 20' of line, and more heat wrap.

I hit a speedbump in the build, I need to weld on my -12 fittings onto my dry sump tank to run my oil lines, but that cant be done until sunday, and Im waiting on steering rack bushing because my PBM, bushings dont clear my dry sump pan, and im waiting on my brake lines to finish up all 4 corners. SO this weekend will be pretty easy...yet aggrevating because this build is taking super long and MDU round 2 is 2 WEEKS AWAY...

Heres the current status of the 14:

In other news, I have sold the Z06 shell that I bought for the LS7:

Parting cars out is how I built this car since day 1, so Its not really a surprise that i have made over 3/4s of my money back from the corvette and still have a super low mileage Z06 Transaxle and torque tube for sale.
Basically without selling my this transaxle I got a built LS7 and T56 for the same price as a LS2 pullout goes for on ebay, and much less once the trans sells.

Im glad I went this route, and I just hope I can get back to driving events and Im gonna hit events like crazy once this cars reliable. IM STOKED.

ETA on finishing this car is the end of next week, which will give me about a week to break it in and get a tune, I really hope I can pull it off to be able to drive with all my MDU bros!

STAY TUNED!!!

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

Last edited by Rolando_JDM on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:44 pm 
Proven Drifter

The 1J car is going to be a lot of fun. Maybe a bit nose heavy but nothing some stiffer front springs can't fix. Ditch the big cast dildo intake pipe and get piping made up to go directly to the turbo. Stock BOV is garbage. Block it off in the meantime. The turbo is tough and does just fine BOVless. Ditch the secondary butterfly on the throttle body when doing piping. And take it easy on the valve covers. The bolt hole tabs are pretty weak and prone to cracking. And if you got oily spark plugs, the rocker cover gaskets are leaking into the spark plug valley.

It was a fun engine in the super heavy JZX100 so its going to feel awesome in a light tight S13. Holler if you need any parts for it or any thing. Toyota around the corner and YAJ is always open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 pm 
Power Drifter

Don't know why but pretty surprised that big block fits. Swear you can fit anything in these damn cars!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:21 am 
Proven Drifter

Update Time!

So this update will be alittle out of order, first off my S14:

I planned on having it done the the weekend before the week of MDU round 2.

I wrapped the other header and got those on

Installed my new Aeromotive Stealth Fuel Pump

I ran my new -6 fuel line and -12 Dry Sump oil lines

I got -12 fittings welded onto my dry sump tank and then I painted the tank

I did some decorating on the tank and made some brackets to install it, HEHEHE!

I figured out my intake setup, vibrant coupler/tubing and AEM filter

So then I find out that my LS7 didnt have its necessary MAF, So got one along with one of those bungs off ebay and had my welder buddy put it on

Lastly I put on new SS brake lines all around.

So even though I busted ass to get what I needed to get done on my 14 to make MDU round 2, I was forced to miss it because I was and still am waiting on my converted harness. So my cars sitting on the lift like this ---v until I get my harness. Then Its going to MCP in STL for a ypipe and 4" ypipe back exhaust and a tune.

MDU Round 2, St. Louis:

So Im not one to miss a localish event and even more so a proam event, even if I dont have a car.

I got to STL friday night to hang with the bros at Midnight Madness, and a good buddy of mine, James Blair, offered to lend me his car for MDU on saturday.
His car was built well and Ive driven his car once before at a Kansas event so who am I to decline such a generous offer. :)

We ended sharing his car at the event, Ive driven the Gateway roadcourse once before so I didnt need much practice just enough to get used to the car.
I got about 9-10 runs in before qualifying and by the 9th or 10th lap I had finally gotten the run down.

His car was originally a road race car so the boost didnt hit till mid 4k and Ive been used to 3k max on my S14 last season so it was definietly a tricky car to drive and took me alittle bit to get used to and adjust.
But I was able to put down a solid run and ended up qualifying 10th.

Lined up for the top 16 battle:

I was up against Josh Collins, I dont have any pictures of our battle but heres a pic of his car during practice.

Anyways, I ended taking the win, I really started to get the line down and put down some sweet follow and lead runs, I think he ended up blowing out his tranny on my lead run, not sure what happened there but it was a fun battle!

Top 8 battle was with one of my good friends Alex Ledbetter, his car is pushing about 500hp and the 13 I was in was maybe 280ish.
No excuses, The battle was RAD! I definitely held my own and was able to keep up fairly well in my follow run and gain some distance after initiation on my lead run.
But he had more angle and WAY more smoke, and I wasnt as close to him as he was on me and he got the win.

Heres a link to my lead, I literally went all out, I had a smile on my face the rest of the day. I had a great time like always.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3200675873615&l=8266387470322755788"]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3200675873615&l=8266387470322755788[/url]

I stayed in STL for a couple days and hung out, mostly because I had nothing to do on my cars because I was waiting on parts for both....

So back on the S13 last Tuesday: (once again, its alittle out of order)

I got another set of wheels from Cosmis Racing, Probably one of my favorite wheels ever, Im super glad theyre helping me out this year and hopefully years to come:

I installed my 5lug conversion and some adj. S14 rucas and toe arms and made my own lock out kit:

I threw one of my wheels on to roll the fenders.

I literally maxed out my rucas and rolled to fit. The less amount of neg camber the better!

AND BOOM!

Then I installed one of these things:

I prepped my OEM Type X aero for paint

And BOOM!

I threw on my spare Z32 front brakes

I installed all the aero and test fitted my front wheels

I painted my 1jz's valve covers my signature sunrise wrinkle red.

And of course painted my inlet pipe and intake maniold wrinkle black

ACT ON EVERYTHING!

that night BOOM, in:

but something I overlooked to mention, the reason I pulled the 1j in the first place was because it developed a knock the first day I got the car...so the previous owner did help me buy a new motor from tiger japanese and thats whats in the car now.

The oil pan on both motors were super dented, so the part I was waiting on and made this car miss MDU was the new oil pan

I also got a skid plate to protect it since it does sit below the crossmember.

Anyways I got the car all ready to go:

Filled with fluids, bleed them, etc..

Then primed it, and turned it on and.......KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK....FUUUUUUUUU

Anyways, Im not gonna go into detail about the engine that was sent to me already trashed, Im currently working out a claim and hopefully gonna figure something out to get another motor from Tiger, or some money and rebuild it, either it run one day soon.

I was devastated that I put in so much work into this car and then have a motor I trusted to work great, not work great...But shit happens, Im used to it by now and im over being sad and worried. Focus is now on the S14, which since I went through EVERYTHING on that new swap and the car, it should run forever and IM STOKED.

In other news I got a shipment of 123s from achilles, I love these tires.

Stay Tuned!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am 
Feint Drifter

It seems like anytime I ever hear of Tiger it's always because someone got a pile of shit from them.

Good luck with that mess man, it sucks, at least it looks sexy as fuck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:52 pm 
Proven Drifter

Update Time!

So where I left off, I got some 123s from Achilles so I mounted up a new pair for my fronts.

The S13 was literally not worked on in the past 3-4 weeks, it just sat in the shop looking pretty.

The S14 was really close to being done, I was literally waiting for my conversion harness to come in so I can go have my exhaust made, and tune it..

But I did have little things like put some fluid in the tranny, etc...

So I finally get my harness from Jordan Innovations after 7ish weeks, He told me 2 but whatever, I understand... But so yeah, I loaded up my car and left for Mid Coast Performance in St Louis.

So I didnt have time to install my converted harness before I had to leave for MCP so I just had MCP install it...but turns out the harness was a pile of garbage... There were dead wires left in the loom, there were live wires just cut and left open next to other live wires, there was a ground not even soldered, just knotted and left unwrapped. The alternator wiring that he thought he cut, was actually the main power for the PCM... I could go on and on and on with unprofessional wiring that was done on my harness but im gonna move on to what happened when It was installed.

It was hooked up, nothing got power, turns out the ecu was not getting power, so they made a power harness. After that we found that something was truly wrong with the harness because the key was off, and all the GROUNDS were getting 6 volts and the injectors were getting 12 volts on their positive wire. So the harness came out and had to be torn open and gone through.

After 16 hours (2 days) of trying to make that harness work, it was not gonna be fixable nor cost effective since I was having a very good shop take time out of their high dollar builds to fix a cheap harness, it was a complete waste of my time and money.

In the end I had to order an awesome PSI harness but had to wait a week for it to arrive just to start my car.

Don't get me wrong, Jordan innovations would have gladly tried to fix it if I mailed it back, but I didn't have another 7 weeks to wait to get it and hope it works. !'d imagine if you wait 7 weeks for something, that it should work as promised, am I right??

So I went back to Kansas City for a couple days while the harness was on its way to receive a tire shipment and brought some my tires and tools back so that I can potentially make MDU Round 3 in Detroit.

Soon as I got back the harness was there and Kurt and Brad at MCP were jamming on getting it in and hopefully starting the car later that day.

So we got the car to start, It seemed to run really well and it fired right up but...we noticed that the crank pulley was wobbling / \ / \ / \ /

So we checked runout on the crank pulley, it was too high, so we pulled it off and ordered an oem one since the runout on the crank was very minimal, and nowhere near enough to cause a wobble.

We got the new pulley the next day and installed it hoping it would that issue...it didnt. I pulled off the timing cover and checked everything and nothing was adding up, It had to be the crank was bent...

So I called my machine shop who built my engine and told them the whole story, and they said, bring it to us, we will fix it. I packed up and headed back to KC to pull my engine.

I was really bummed out, I thought my season was over, I literally listened to slow jams the whole drive home.

So I pulled the whole drivetrain in literally 2 hours on a sunday, My Fueled Racing swap kit makes everything line up and bolt right on like it was an SR..and we all know how many times ive pulled an sr...fml

I take the engine to them on monday morning ~11am

Then I get a call around 1pm that same day, "Hey Rolando, So we found the issue with the engine"

Turns out the timing/oil pump gear was bent from the wreck and we reused it. Since the crank pulley seats on that gear, it would cause the crank pulley to wobble like it did. So I ordered a new gear and a new oil pump just incase.

I had the motor back in my hands by 4pm Tuesday....

I replaced a few parts that I overlooked when I originally installed it just incase as well.

So I got back to my shop, with my new parts and the engine ready to go around 5pm. I had so much motivation to get it done that by 7pm the engine/tranny/driveshaft was back in the car.

And by midnight It was done and I left to get tuned at MCP the very next morning.

So It was a crazy few days but It was finally back at MCP and on the dyno.

After a good 8-10 pulls overall that tune was done and it made 470hp and 409tq on the "heartbreaker" mustang dyno, which supposdly reads 8% less than a standard dynojet or whatever.

Heres a video of one of the pulls!

8C4EE34D-714B-453C-848A-EDA3C669D62F-554-000000BABD5B3C2C_zps4206f6c4.mp4 Video by JDM_Tuner | Photobucket

And heres a video of the celebration donuts I did!

5E7C094A-1253-4D7A-B81E-9EB8CC22EAEB-554-000000BC9585E7E0_zps9455374d.mp4 Video by JDM_Tuner | Photobucket

But yeah the car is now running great, I went out driving with my STL bros and its pretty much the most awesome car I have ever driven. Its loud, its super fast, and it pulls in any gear like crazy.

I want to thank my sponsors that helped me do this swap:
Import Image Racing - ImportImageRacing | Discount Performance Parts | Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda Import Image Racing
Fueled Racing - Fueled Racing
Advanced Clutch Technology - Advanced Clutch Technology // Performance Clutch Kits, Clutches, and Flywheels

I also want to thank Mid Coast Performance, they do really awesome work and really want to build the best cars out there, If youre anywhere near them, I would hit them up for all your racecar needs.
[url="https://www.facebook.com/MidCoastPerformance"]https://www.facebook.com/MidCoastPerformance[/url]

Its been a super rough season for me, Ive been in the lowest of lows and Im soon to hit the highest of highs as soon as I get back to driving events. But moral of the story is dont give up. I love what I do, I give my all and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. But thats just the ride, and I enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks for reading, stay tuned!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:52 pm 
Drift Newb

You have no idea how stoked I was to see this thing running. Congrats dude! Hopefully I will be able to head out to LS Fest or SLT with you guys!

Tech & Grid @ DriftSTL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 pm 
Brake Drifter

Would it be crazy if. I'm told you I'm attempting the same thing but with a 5.3 for my s13? Ls6 cam intake and heads. Makes about 310-340 hopefully in the end how ,ugh were you in on the build?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:25 pm 
Proven Drifter

call me a hater, knock yo hussle, etc but a loud ls noise from your car sounds weird to me but congrats on finishing it.

1990 240sx coupe-Sold
1988 Supra-traded
1994 Q45(VIP BOSS)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:14 pm 
Proven Drifter

lol at that engine harness. Did you light him up on Zilvia? Can't imagine his response. That is pretty unacceptable.

And that oil tank is deceiving. In this pic it looks small:

but this pic gives you a good scope of its size:

I bet those were the best doughnuts ever. Congrats dude!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Proven Drifter

Thanks for the motivation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:36 pm 
Proven Drifter

Car looks good dude, doing great things for Kansas/Midwest.

Since you're sponsored do you have good prices for the tires to the public?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:40 pm 
Drift Newb

Great build thread! I wish I wasn't such a faggot and hated on everybody so much so I could have a somewhat cool car.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:26 am 

So sorry about your bad luck this year. At least you're out making things happen! Always an interesting read. Your cars are off the chain!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 pm 
Proven Drifter

Caught the IG post. Total bummer!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:30 am 
Proven Drifter

So I see i didnt post the last few updates of last season, theyre here if you wanna see what happened:

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-only/429037-jdm_tuner-s-build-thread-past-present-future-12.html

This is what I say to 2013. Middle Fingers in the Air.

I learned a lot this past season. I grew up and I don't regret all the shit I went through.
What really made it all not as shitty was i only made 2 of 4 MDU events and still managed to be the highest placing rookie and took home rookie of the year.

For the 2014 season, Im taking what I did wrong last season and doing it right.
My program is pretty much staying the same, same sponsors with the addition of a couple new ones, a revised version of my S14 and an additional 350z "backup car" so I can make every event I want to. I also decided to go to KU school of engineering in the fall, so this year ill be going for broke...but more going broke haha.

I wish I could type up the past three months after the final kansas event for a big awesome update but Id be up for days typing and uploading pics. and most of you know, or follow on IG.

I plan on doing alot of this:

In the S14 thatll look like this:

and in a new 350z that currently looks like this:

Basically just trying to do this:

Once again thanks for reading my thread, I hope you enjoyed it as I probably wont be updating it again, at least for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:59 am 
Proven Drifter

Saw you got in to KU on IG. Congrats man! Best investment you'll make! Buckle down and keep after it. College ain't no joke but so totally worth it when you're done. Keep it up man and looking forward to 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:25 pm 
Drift Newb

Epic build thread, now that's what I call art! 8O

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16