The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 am 
Proven Drifter

Update Time!

Left off with my S14 running great, needed an alignment and it was ready for my test day at the first local KCDrift event of the 2013 season.

I ended up daily-ing the S14 for a few days:

Finally got it up to my buddy's workplace and was able to align it.

The car felt amazing after that, Strong and snappy while still smooth. I felt great about it.

I got a large shipment of rad stuff from my sponsors a few days prior to the test day:

Also got around to painting my front bumper, as much as I like painting, I wish i had more patience...

Anyways The day of the event the car was good and ready, I felt "alright" about it, I felt like something wasnt ready...

Tech Inspection:

So far the car was good, had a little mis-fire that i was worried about but figured it was the BOV that needed adjusting.
The track went hot and I went out... (Need to revise my front bumper mounting supports haha)

Car was feeling so sick, First run out I was nailing the line, throwing it to 60-70 and holding angle. It was rad.

THEN, after about 3 runs it was running HOT, like 115 C, so i did a cool down lap. It cooled down and it another run, and then BOOOMMMM, the engine bay started smoking, and the car died and I coasted back into the pits.

Turns out my dipstick blew out, oil everywhere, burned my clutch line and boiled the fluid, and melted some wiring. I wasnt feeling like scrambling to fix it for a test day so I called it a day.

Got it back to the shop and checked it out on Monday:

I poured in some oil and started it up, It sounded fine, but had a heavier mis fire. I decided it was fine and started my ACT clutch install.

But then the next day one of my homies said I should do a leakdown test:

Turns out Cyl. #2/3 had 75% and 90% leakdown respectively, with #1/4 near perfect. I triple checked them and same results everytime:

Well with those results, the tear down commenced:

Turns out, Pistons 2/3 had some piston damage...not sure how to this day, but all I know is that I needed to get it rebuilt fast.

I took the head and block to the machine shop over the next couple days.

Got the head back the next day, and the bottom end was being checked up until a few days ago.

Anyways Ive just been hustlin and getting all the parts i need to rebuild this engine before MDU rd. 1 May 4th. I had been sponsored by Import Image Racing a few weeks prior to having these engine issues but they've been major help with getting everything I need, I truly am grateful for all the support I am getting this year from all my sponsors and Im doing my part and giving my all this year.

Everyone needs to hit up Import Image for all your parts needs, hit up Billy and he;ll give you the best pricing anywhere, and Im not just saying that.

Anyways the rest of the rebuild parts should be here this upcoming monday, and the Machine shop should have the bottom end built by that friday, and Ill finish the build and get it back in the car that weekend. Time Crunch is on.

So Drift Indy/Clubfr's No Star Bash was that weekend, and I was out a drift car.....So i hustled to get my 350z drift ready in a couple days.
First thing, I welded my open diff and put that in.

I also fixed my ebrake and all new fluids.

Friday after class, I loaded up and headed out.

On the way there I had a trailer tire blow out...with no spare me and my homie Paul who rode out with me scrambled to find a tire 30mins out from Columbia MO. I finally ended up finding a tire at Walmart and 2hrs and $160 later we were ready to head to Aleds house in STL to crash for the night.

General Pics from the event:

The Event was rad, Just hanging out with all my STL homies, my KC buds that made the trip out, and meeting all these cool new people from all around. I did well for my situation, the car felt really different when going 100% on such a fast roadcourse, but I was able to adapt and have a blast.

I ended up getting $100 from Hert and Brian (the hoonigans) for "Best Daily Drifter"
Hert might have been bias since he seemed bummed my S14 wasnt there but I still was able to put down a showing for their video and the spectators in the monster trucking daily 350z.

Ill post the videos from the event as they are released, Im working with Bandana Boy this year for all MDU events, so theyre making a highlight reel of just me from the event, Ill post that awesomeness for sure.

The best part of the trip was just meeting so many rad people and just hanging out with old friends that i havent seen since last season.

HAHA..... ;)

I even got to see some sights..

Anyways thats all I can say about NSB, It was rad and cant wait for the next event.
As soon as I got back into town, I dismounted my tires and took my Cosmis Wheels to get sandblasted and powder coated white, CANT WAIT FOR THESE TO GET BACK!!!

Ill end this with saying that I appreciate all of those who read this and who keep up with my thread. STAY TUNED!!

Email: ProfoundMotorsports@gmail.com

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 am 
Feint Drifter

Sucks about the motor man! Gratz on representing in the daily though at least you had fun.
I'm still waiting on the weather to even start work on mine.

+1 for the white powder coat too those wheels are sexy they should contrast. Reminds me a bit of R33's, my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:45 am 
Event Coordinator

Update soon?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 am 
Proven Drifter

Thanks X3N, good luck on your build and all.

Rob, I like that like nobody comments but they secretly reads this. The more people I see that have read it the more I want to update it. But anyways I'll do an update next week when I motor is back in the car and off the lift.

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 am 

I always read your updates. I've said this before. I love looking at all the pretty clean parts and it gives me ideas on how things should look! You should name this the "How to do it right build thread"!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:11 am 
Proven Drifter

"how to do things right" - If it was lower and had more flake. :lol:

And also you should get into tuning your own car. It is pretty fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:56 am 
Event Coordinator

AkaZero wrote:
"how to do things right" - If it was lower and had more flake. :lol:

And also you should get into tuning your own car. It is pretty fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:45 pm 
Proven Drifter

There's many ways of doing it, not necessarily a right way. I was gonna do nistune but then enthalpy offered a free retune so I was like yeah I'll try it.

Also flake is stupid, in a year people are going to be like that's ricey and I can't go lower. Boom.

Update soon ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:57 pm 

I like your ride height the way it is.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:58 am 
Feint Drifter

Rolando_JDM wrote:
Also flake is stupid, in a year people are going to be like that's ricey....

+1

Heavy flake always reminds me of that one helmet at the go-kart track that nobody wanted to be stuck with. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:31 pm 
Proven Drifter

I guess I told you that I would look at the build thread

good job

#ksd#nfgracecar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 am 
Supreme Nut

X3N wrote:
Rolando_JDM wrote:
Also flake is stupid, in a year people are going to be like that's ricey....

+1

Heavy flake always reminds me of that one helmet at the go-kart track that nobody wanted to be stuck with. :lol:

I always wanted the flakey helmet

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 am 
Brake Drifter

This thread is killer. Update!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 am 
Proven Drifter

Update Time!

So, I really need to start updating this more frequently or at least like i was 6 months ago. Three weeks ago I lost my phone, and lost about a months worth of build pics, so PLEASE bear with me, im scouring facebook and instagram to try to put together a solid update for ya loyal readers!

Anyways I left off with NSB and taking my wheels to the powdercoater.
Well I got them back they looked RAD!

Also finished putting this years sponsor decals on the car, simple, visible, clean. I think it looks good.

So I rushed to rebuild my SR before Round 1 of MDU. It was a busy 3 weeks after NSB just because i had to wait on the machine shop to do their work and then all my awesome new parts from Import Image Racing, and then I had to install everything back in...it was just a crazy time for me.

So I got the bottom end rebuilt; CP pistons, Eagle Rods, King Bearings. Got the bottom end from the machine shop a week before Round 1, I put it all together and was ready to drop in

Boom! Got it in!

A big thing this time around were my fans, I was running Altima fans wired to the factory ac plug which turned them on super late so i was always on the edge. I reverted to a GKTech Clutch fan and factory shroud for the cooling and just simply how clean it looks.

So BAM! Cars done, got a fresh retune from Martin at RS Enthalpy and ready to go.

I also got this AMAZING enclosed trailer from a buddy for stupid cheap, i really couldnt believe how great the timing was for me to get this when i did.

Forgot to Gas up the monster so I unloaded at a Shell in STL when I met up with the bros and filled her up.

INDY:

SO I made it to RD.1 of MDU, the car was feeling ok...but ill get to that later, heres some of the nastiest hardparking photos of my car.

First run out of practice, i get this gnarly bucking at low rpms. I decide to do a run anyways. I went out bucking like crazy, initate on the bank come down pull ebrake and nothing locks up...I slow down go into the infield and clutch kick and HAMMER DOWN because i was pissed.
AFRs were all over the place, alittle lean at WOT, yet rich enough at low rpm to cause it to bog.

I go back to the pits and swap to my old tune, it was alittle leaner but no bucking so I was like screw it, i came to drive if it detonates... whatever, im here to drive not to watch.

So i do my second run of practice and it was pretty much limping off the line, low on power, didnt hit full boost until like 4500. It was dumb, i should have stopped and just parked for the day. But kept driving.

So the rest of the days practice was the same, terrible line, low on the bank, 0 smoke. No ebrake. I was really pushing myself as a drive to make a solid run on this track that you need an ebrake and power, or be a real boss like Bwagg and have no ebrake but power and be on the right line. I had none of those things, i did bad.

So qualifying came around and I wasnt ready. I was talking to Geoff Stoneback about drifting stuff lol and he mentioned he had a spare ebrake cable. Mine had sheared the tightening nut earlier in the day so I was like yeah let me get that and Ill put it in before Quals.

I got that in within 15mins with some help and played around with the tightening, and at full tight it still didnt lock. so i guess my cables were stretched to the max. I missed my run group and had to do quals in group C which was not a problem just sayin'. I did bad, i really did try to fling my car mid bank and keep it there to have a somewhat good line into the infield. Both runs i just came in too hot and without an ebrake i just had to straighten and got 0s.

So after that I chilled in the trailer with the homies until comp.

Overall I had a blast, even though i sucked major balls since my car had all kinds of issues I hung out with old friends, made some new ones. Its amazing how many people in Drifting are rad, i have yet to meet someone deep into drifting that I dont like as a friend.

So after that weekend I came home, went to school, day dreamed about finally fixing my car and having a reliable drift car. I got some ideas from a variety of people on what the issue could be, I tried abunch of stuff and finally thought to myself, i should check my O2 sensor....Sure enough I go to my car after class and find all the wiring is fried and exposed......DANG.

I got a new O2 sensor in, and it ran just like it should...still alittle lean at WOT but alot better all around.

So I called Martin at Enthalpy and told him and he overnighted me another retune just to get it dialed in for that weekends event in Omaha. I was really impressed by RS Enthalpys customer service, all retunes were at no cost to me, he just wanted to get the tune just right for increased reliability.

I also got an ASD hydro, I was lucky enough to have the dudes at ASD ship mine out before they left for FD atlanta. So i made a bracket and got it in the night before i left to Omaha.

Update continued, PART 2 below ----v

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:38 am 
Proven Drifter

UPDATE PART 2:

OMAHA:

The event omaha was awesome, the track was super fast and really made you hammer down at all times. I cant wait to go back.

I got to the event, said whatsup to all the homies and then unloaded:

My car was melting faces before hot track, Im still getting emails with pictures of my car just parked infront of my trailer. lol

So the car felt good the first few runs, it was still alittle lean and low on boost response but I really just wanted to drive. I told a good buddy of mine Rob Shepherd after my first run, "idgaf anymore, if it blows, ***k it" i was there to drive. and after my first run i was addicted. My oil pressure was good, my car was running cool as ever. I did blow up my front bumper since i got alittle to excited and came in SUPER hot and had to straighten and go into the grass.

Then like 5 runs in i see its getting alittle leaner. it went from 12.2 up to 12.8....oh wow... So i finished that run and by the end of the run it had started knocking................................................wow.

I go back to the pits to check it out, and indeed it was rod knock. To this day im not sure it starting knocking due to it running lean or bad bottom end assembly. IDK, but I didnt care anymore.

I told my buddy Jon to hop in and said lets get another run out of this engine because i was NOT going to go through another SR rebuild. I had already pulled/installed my engine 3 times in 2 months, i wasnt gonna do all that again in hopes that this doesnt happen again. So i get half way through the lap, and I was seriously going full tilt, the car was "shooting fireballs" as someone in the crowd told me afterwards but i was done with SRs in this car.

That was that. I literally drove the car with the loudest knocking sound i have ever heard all the way back to the pits.

A KC local driver Dustin Doherty was gracious enough to let my throw a pair of my wheels on his comp car and have some fun to try to get over my 2nd blown in 3 weeks...

I was amazed at how hard it was to drive his car. Its a VQ35 swapped S14 but with no power steering. MAN>>>i give him so much props for driving that car as hard as he does with no power steering. I literally had my arms hurting after one run. But i was able to power through it and have some fun!

So that was that weekend, it was fun! race tracks, strip clubs, mexican restaurants. It was a great weekend with awesome dudes.

I get back to KC and go directly to the shower and to sleep. Next day, i had my high school graduation..so that was a pretty big milestone I guess??

The day after that I go to the shop and unload.

The worst feeling is having to push a car out of a trailer, youre just thinking...this drove on to the trailer 3 days ago...man this sucks.

So I pull the motor, I literally sold 90% of my SR parts within 4 days. I made an ass load of my money back and Im glad I bought legit parts because with my reputable trader rating on zilvia, great prices, and fast shipping. This stuff sold itself and really set me up to get my next swap in and running very soon.

BTW in this next picture you see my ACT Clutch and Flywheel Setup that ACT hooked me up with for this season and I never got to do a write up since I lost all of my pictures, so Ill just say that for the short time I had that setup, I really liked the way it grabbed and felt on the car. I know it would have lasted the whole season and longer just because ACT makes some amazing products for a variety of engines.

So back to the engine, heres the damage! two holes on the block, one in the upper oil pan.

The snapped rod...it looks like it overheated as well as shearing into two pieces.

In other news Jonathan and Paul (kinda) helped me clean my shop lol, if any of yall have ever been to it before the clean up...well im just gonna say that this is a major improvement.

SO thats pretty much it for now, I do have some new announcements that I will update you guys on next update. Im pretty stoked on this new swap im doing in my car and the new support Ill have to do it right.
It is an LS swap, but not 100% what LS but I have a few pull outs that Im going to check out soon.

So stay tuned and much thanks to those who really read the full update, I truly take my time on these posts and try to give yall a taste of what im doing here.

-Rolando

Last edited by Rolando_JDM on Tue May 21, 2013 5:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:39 am 
Proven Drifter

^^^My update was too long so my first 2 part update for ya dudes!!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:20 am 
Proven Drifter

Big bummer on the engine trouble. Get it back more reliable and better than ever!

Car is rad but those wing endplates are still goofy. Cut your own in a rad design and mount them facing the right way.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 am 
Proven Drifter

steven wrote:
Big bummer on the engine trouble. Get it back more reliable and better than ever!

Car is rad but those wing endplates are still goofy. Cut your own in a rad design and mount them facing the right way.

I have an extra pair, i was thinking about shaving the holes and redrilling them the other way. I think itll look better with pictures at a rear angle. it does look weird. i agree.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 am 
Proven Drifter

That's also a good/easy way to go about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:36 am 
Feint Drifter

Gratz on graduating, it's all uphill from here.

Sucks about the SR but it sounds like you were ready to move on.
A friend of mine the other day mentioned we're all nuts for putting so much money into a car just to tear it up.

I replied "fuck it"

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:48 pm 
Proven Drifter

Awesome update!
Shop looks great!
Best decision ever 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:58 pm 
Proven Drifter

Forgot to say congratulations! What are your plans next?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm 

Just read another awesome update. I wish I could find the time and money to do big things too! Congratulations on graduating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:27 pm 
Proven Drifter

updates???

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:09 pm 
Proven Drifter

Dirty Dan wrote:
updates???

Just for you dan, ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next