The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:37 pm 
Proven Drifter

Oh, and the packing material is like meshed cardboard. Like a regular sheet went through a machine that cut a bunch of slits in it to make it like mesh. I thought the same thing when I opened the box.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 pm 
King of Pics and Vids

I need updates!

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:27 am 
Proven Drifter

KC240SR wrote:
I need updates!

yea yea yea!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:33 pm 
Proven Drifter

Haven't been updating this but there's a lot of stuff up on on the blog and more coming!

Check it out - www.brickhouseproducts.com !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:47 am 
Proven Drifter

It's been a long while since I've updated this, but if you have been following the blog, then you are up to speed. If not, here's a recap since it's fun to post here as well. Good to be a contributing member of the community and all.

I started with this ugly SR.

Pulled it by myself in pretty rough conditions as you can see.

I lucked out and found a Nismo Coppermix clutch setup inside.

And just barely got it in my little Daihatsu Move to haul it back to my place.

I pulled the Silvia's stock battery tray because it was rusting pretty bad.

I then bent up an aluminum battery tray.

I rotated the battery 90 degrees and recessed it to clear the hood. Before and after.

My buddy showed up to help and we pulled the NA SR20DE.

Good-bye little dude.

We installed some new parts and switched out some bad items and got the new engine sitting in the bay.

That's a good place to stop this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:02 am 
Proven Drifter

I got the engine running with full exhaust and could here there was an exhaust leak at the manifold. So I pulled it all and did braided lines and gaskets. The valve cover gasket was also bad do I redid it and painted the cover while it was off. It came out okay.

Around that time, Shio and I came back home to meet the parents and I got to drive Greg's car at the October 6th event.

Talk about a big difference - knuckles, power, and 3rd gear. It was a blast!

When I got back, I got back into it and got my oil cooler setup mounted.

Swapped valve covers because a coilpack bolt snapped off in the other one while I was removing it. And I got the fan shroud and Koyo radiator in. Engine bay was looking better.

I had to do a little tweaking and make a new elbow to fit the intercooler. These were my options.

Here's what I ended up with.

And I got the bumper trimmed and fitted.

I'll chop this post off here.

Last edited by steven on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:11 am 
Proven Drifter

I got my Defi gauges in.

Then made a stainless heat shield for the manifold.

I took it for a test drive and everything was running good.

So I got gas.

And gave it a good washing.

I then got the BIG payoff and took it to the track for a shakedown!

The car did great and the bump in power made a huge difference! Sooo much fun; I just wanna drive! But that brings us up to speed. The long winded version with more info on everything can be found on the blog (click my sig).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:06 pm 
Proven Drifter

It's been a loooooooong time. I kind of readjusted life stuff a bit, switched jobs, moved, got married, yada yada. Car took a back burner and was for sale (somewhat). Just decided to give it a refresh the other day. Here's the post from the local board here, zeroyon.

Alright, you're thinking you've seen this before. You have. I never got really serious about selling the Silvia because deep down I never really wanted to sell it. Haha. So now, I'm turning my for sale thread into a build thread...or more of a rebuild and update. I'll use the for sale thread basics as the starting point as it recaps the current state pretty nicely.

This has been a great car to me. Hands down the best and most fun S-chassis I’ve owned. I bought it as a basic Q’s with a N/A SR20 – no gaudy aero or color – and swapped in the turbo engine January-ish 2013. It has ran like a top since.

1992 (H4) Nissan Silvia (136,xxx on chassis)
**Stock 5 speed**
Redtop SR20DET
JP/Sobe Speed & Machine polyurethane engine and trans mounts
Koyo aluminum radiator
Oil cooler
Oil filter relocation with JP oil block (Tomei style)
HKS actuator (set at .8bar)
Stainless braided turbo lines
FMIC
R33 fan
Intake pipe with Apexi filter
Outlet pipe
Downpipe (with 02 sensor bung)
Resonated cat-delete (don't have the stock cat)
Cat-back (quiet outside and meets noise restrictions to run at Yomitan)
Walbro fuel pump
Nismo fuel pressure regulator
Nismo Coppermix clutch disc and cover (RS420/RS240 kit)
Nismo big slave cylinder
Stainless braided clutch line
Cusco RS 2way diff (super quiet, no clung-clung-clung, great lockup)
KYB Super Street struts (4 levels of dampening)
Dowmax lowering springs
R200 rear end
Nissan (front) and Cusco (rear) strut bars
Rear subframe spacers
ES steering rack bushings
Aluminum steering linkage bushing
Tie rod spacers
Nardi steering wheel
E-brake knob
17” SSR Longchamp XR4Z (6 total, 7j, 8j, 8.5j)
A/C works great.
Various gaskets and seals were replaced when I did the engine swap. (intake mani, exhaust side, valve cover, etc)

That's how it sits now. I always kept it pretty basic as it was kind of fun to improve the car as I got better at drifting. But when that shutdown, I sold off some of the parts - Bride bucket, rails, and Trust DD's. Sent the ARC pipe sways and Attain shifter to America for future use. And pulled out my Defi gauge set.

Now, the shaken is set to expire in March and, knowing it would need a few fixes to pass - mainly brakes, it seemed like a good time to rebuild it into the cool cruiser I've always wanted (while I continue to hope a legal drift spot opens up soon).

I priced some stock brake parts online and locally and the price was nearing R32 brake upgrade territory which made my mind wander. A local guy helped me out there with R32 front and rear brakes and S14 5 lug setup. That's kind of the snowball for what I've dubbed the refresh. Nothing major but just a fun cruise that looks decent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:22 pm 
Proven Drifter

Brake swap parts are on the way. Got some braided lines and pads off YAJ. Hopefully they make it here before this weekend.

I stopped by Arakaki Auto - not really stop by, it's way far south but I've wanted to go for a while. Homeboy has s-chassis parts and parts for dayssssss. I'd be interested to hear some of the older members have to say about him or if they've ever been to his shop. He seems like he used to really be active in the drifting crowd. He didn't seem really pleased to be dealing with a gaijin initially but really came around by the time I left. Gotta hit him with solid nihongo. Ended up picking up a set of stock corner lights which look heaps better than the clear ones. Upgrading to stock. Haha.

I snagged a couple Bride semi-buckets which I'm really excited about. They fit me nice and feel a lot more comfortable than a full bucket. Feeding my inner-nerd with stuff like this. Just need to find a passenger (LH) seat rail. YAJ ain't got nothin. All driver rails. The blue Nardi knockoff wheel Arakaki-san gave me since it has some torn leather when I asked about the 25 wheels he had in a pile. Like I said, dude's got parts.

And these wheels haven't sold yet so they'll be going on as well. I was trying to figure out what to do for wheels and then I dawned on me I've got some GTR size Panas. 17x9+17 and 17x9+21. They should compliment the car well. Kind of period correct on a stock body car.

Just need some coils...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:51 am 
Proven Drifter

One piece of the puzzle. Cheaper on YAJ than in the states.

And an old pic shortly after buying it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:49 pm 
Proven Drifter

More key components.

It's go time today. Boring shaken mode coming.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:12 pm 
Proven Drifter

I wish I could come visit you lol everything looks so cool to me :)

1990 240sx coupe-Sold
1988 Supra-traded
1994 Q45(VIP BOSS)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 am 
Proven Drifter

melvingoku wrote:
I wish I could come visit you lol everything looks so cool to me :)

It all has it's ups and downs. It's been a fun experience for sure but there are good things about the US as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:47 am 
Proven Drifter

So here's how the past few days have gone in a random mix of pictures.

Borrowed some garage space which is way better than being victim to the elements.

I got the front suspension all removed. Was making good progress on the rear until this happened while trying to loosen the driverside axle nut.

Kind of looked like this while I prepped brake and suspension pieces to be reinstalled. New tie rod end boots up front.

My diffs been seeping/leaking from the passenger side output shaft for a while which is not good for shaken. It was pretty easy to access with the rear knuckle removed. I popped off the output flange and found the seal staring at me.

It's really wedged in there pretty good. I ended up prying it out with a small claw hammer that fit with the claw end in the hole and the hammer end for leverage on the casing. I eased it out trying not to score anything. New OEM Nissan seal, 328 yen. I'm constantly impressed with how cheap rubber items are here. Part number 38342-N3100 for those needing the same thing

A bit hung up at the moment with the rear ball joint boots. There isn't a production part number from Nissan anymore. The parts shop guy and I matched up some generic boots that measured out to be pretty close to the stock one. When I fitted it, the shank portion fit well but the lower part was not snug. It fit really really close but not water tight. I'll head back tomorrow and hope they have a 1-2mm smaller size.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:09 am 
Proven Drifter

The past week in total has been pretty nonstop. Getting this beast up to snuff took a bit more time than I expected and is truly earning the title of Refresh Rebuild. I did spend some time doing somethings that might not be necessary for a basic shaken but it felt good to give the car some love.

One big project was cleaning up the underside. A bit of surface rust here on bolts and such, as well as yukari bokujo mud residue that wouldn't come off at the car wash. I scrubbed it all with a brush and cleaned it up. Started with it looking like this:

Washed and then hit it with chassis black and it looks brand new:

I figured the dudes at the shaken place would appreciate a car that is clean and loved versus a bit haggard.

Got the front 5lug stuff and brakes together. All S14 stuff now basically. Those KYBs have seen better days but they ride like a dream. They won't stick around for long though.

Rear together. The "chassis black" paint looks wet in the wheel wells but it just has a bit of a shine when dry.

S14 BM44 brake master in and lines rerouted. The whole system bled really quick. I was super surprised.

I borrowed a set of S14 wheels that had a couple cracking tires. I was a bit worried but Bill said they should be okay. I armor-all'd the heck out of them so at least the sides looked good.

Front wheels ended up sitting a bit flusher than I wanted but are just inside the gaurds. Had to use a 8mm spacer to compensate for the extended wheel studs since the 50mm lugnuts were bottoming out.

And that brings us to a couple hours ago...at the shaken place looking through the glass waiting anxiously.

AND SHE PASSED!!! It didn't get dinged for anything! The guy doing the inspection said the rear tires were looking about due but they were fine and complemented the clean underside. Haha. We walked around to the engine bay and he kind of mentioned all the aftermarket bits and the engine swap but since it was SR20DE to SR20DET it was no big deal. I feels good to pass a legit shaken on the first try with an "old" car. So I paid my 65,440 yen (regular J-plate shaken price) and thanked them for their time in doing nothing. Haha.

So here she sits in boring but pretty clean shaken mode. Now I get to undo a good portion of that.

And one of the engine room. I'd like to clean it up but don't really know where to start. If anyone has any grime removing suggestions and what not, I'm all ears. Oh and for the record, that blue vent hose is needed for shaken; dude specifically mentioned it was good it was there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 am 
Proven Drifter

My miata had to go into "pass inspection mode" not too long ago. Such a pain. :lol:
Stock exhaust put back on, tires from the other miata, stock steering wheel back on, raised up so it would fit on a lift.
I did some refreshing too, coilover got taken apart, cleaned anti regreased/antiseized.

For engine bay grime a couple things work pretty well.
Not sure Japan equivalents though.

Dawn dish soap + white vinegar. 50/50 ratio. Heat up the vinegar before adding the soap and it blends better.
This stuff is amazing at cleaning a lot of stuff. Coat it, wash the trouble spots with a rag a couple times, pressure wash it off.

Little quicker, good for oil and dirt, but doesn't work as good for thick grimy junk. Just aerosol foaming window cleaner, it works almost like off the shelf engine degreaser, but it cheaper.
Spray it on, hose it off.

I really want to get a little power washer and redo the undercoating on the miata when it warms up, keep it rust free forever.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 pm 
Proven Drifter

Thanks man! I'll give the dawn soap vinegar mix a try. Recently (within the past year), Dawn just came to Japan or my area or the store I frequent. I was pretty pumped and it works way better than the JDM stuff. But I may be partial. Haha

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:31 am 
Proven Drifter

Catching this thread up with my local board.

Been about a month since my last update and it's been a crazy busy one at that. I moved to Ginowan, junked my parts car, got married (or had the formal party portion), played tour guide while family was in town, sold my daily Toyota Vitz, yada yada. It's been pretty non-stop. Finally getting a bit caught up.

Since I sold the Vitz, the Silvia became my new daily. I had to remove the borrowed shaken parts so I took the chance while it was in the air to put some coilovers on it, then got tires on the 17" Panasports, and got the height pretty well sorted out. Still stock body - fenders aren't rolled and liners are still in up front. I'd like to go a bit lower but we'll see. Looks decent and cruises easy at this height. Also need to get an alignment.

A guy wanted the Panas so I picked up a set of VS-KF's. (Dude flaked so both sets are for sale.)

Got some tires on them but the fronts don't clear the calipers so no pics yet.

I've driven it a couple days now and the brake upgrade is awesome. Didn't think it would make such a huge difference. Really fun, basic car now.

The big problem at the moment is the drum e-brake doesn't do shit. I have what I believe are S14 rear knuckles with R32 GTST rear brakes and drums. I'm not sure which e-brake cables - R32 maybe? There's like a 1/8" drum shoe thickness. I think I've got the shoes adjusted out correctly. Any ideas here would be great.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:37 am 
Proven Drifter

Got after it this past weekend taking care of random stuff on the car.

First was sorting out the e-brake. I saw online that some Aussie dudes make an adapter plate to run R32/33 cables on S13's. I copied their specs and it came out pretty good. Ebrake works and was a super simple fix. It's 100x150mm so one 100x300mm piece of 3mm aluminum from Sakumoto is just perfect for two. I only used half if anyone needs to do the same thing. Haha.

Went and saw Frozen and snapped a pic.

It had a weird high idle like the cold start wasn't working while warming up. Knowing a bad coolant temp sensor causes weird problems, I picked up a new one and a thermostat. Pulling stuff a part, I saw some rust and was reminded when I swapped it I filled it mainly with water. Whoops. Drained it all, washed out the radiator, and flushed out the engine best I could. It didn't look too bad luckily. Got the CTS swapped.

Pulled the thermostat cover and found this. One of the bolts snapped off.

I don't know how I got so lucky but it backed out no problem after pinching the exposed bit with vice grips.

So I found another bolt and reused the other two...only to feel one of them go really loose when tightening it down. I got super lucky again and backed it out and found this.

With the coolant system back together, I needed to sort out the alignment or at least the front toe. I haven't had a chance to mess with it since putting the coils on. Luckily my daily commute is only 3km. Haha. Set the strings up and it came out pretty good.

I owe Lonestar a beer or two. The rubbing compound worked a treat on all the little spots on the car. I started on the rust spots. No problem. I then tried the black cone marks and it took those off easy peasy as well (except for the real heavy marks). So then I just went around the whole car hitting any spot I could find. Absolutely brilliant. And it was just a little 810 yen kit from Sakumoto. Nothing special.

Checked the timing, which I had never done since swapping it. It was 5 degrees advanced. Got it set at 15 degrees and adjusted the idle. Idles way quieter and smoother. Completely blown away by the difference. Then headed up the Yomitan to check out the drift event. Hard parking.

The car drives and behaves like a whole new car. Way easier to drive and I did well on the alignment. Power is smoother, quieter, and just a pleasure to cruise around in. Went down Main Place so parking garage pics. Completely in love with this car again. So much fun.

And some of you can rest easy. The VS-KF's have a new, proper home and look rad.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:46 pm 
Proven Drifter

It looks good!

1990 240sx coupe-Sold
1988 Supra-traded
1994 Q45(VIP BOSS)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:16 am 
Proven Drifter

So picking up where I left off. Golden Week repairs/upgrades/whatever. Japan tip #4472: working on your car during Golden Week is a great way to avoid bullshit traffic.

I had a bad knock sensor. Luckily I had two junk SRs. One of the sensors was bound to be good. Just had to get to Nago to get them.

One was junk and one was good. Got the good one on and it ran much better. Then got the CAS code. Been spending a lot of time here recently.

Then some nerd collection fap material showed up. So fun seeing how they did it back in the day.

With the CAS code disappearing, it was on to other projects so in went some parts I've been storing for a couple months waiting for time to install. First, my Brides. Brix for the driver. Ergo for the passenger. And this is where I spent my Golden Week.

Then out came the dash.

And in with the new uncracked one so then I put my Defi's back in. Pretty happy with the interior at the moment.

With the old dash but I like the pic.

More nerdiness. Found an aluminum short shift knob on YAJ. Pics will explain. Always dug this old cone style. I hit it with some scotch bright to give a brushed finish to clean it up and match the Nardi (after taking this pic).

Finally fixed the window rolling up and down issue. Tried a new window motor and switch and still had the problem. Turns out the super easy fix was the issue. The little black box is some sort of regulator/switch box for the window. Basically the up and down functions run though it first. It was bad. I thought It was for the door locks originally. 10 minute job and it's been working flawlessly since.

And picked up some red/clear tails from Bill. Gave them a quick polish. Left one is polished. Mother's aluminum polish works great on plastic FYI.

And we'll finish it off with some awesomeness. Panasport G7 C5C2 for sale - all four 18x10.5+19 if any GT-R dudes are interested.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 pm 
Event Coordinator

I'm definitely jealous of all the sweet wheels you find over there.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:37 pm 
Proven Drifter

Need some for the Miata? What's the lug pattern anyway?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:41 pm 
Proven Drifter

Miata is 4x100 up until the NC.

That shift knob is neat looking. Small stuff like that shipped over should be cheap right. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:22 pm 
Proven Drifter

Yeah to a degree but you'll probably end up paying more for the shipping and fees than the item itself. Best bet is to "buy in bulk" and consolidate shipping to the states.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next