The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 am 
Proven Drifter

Well, I am finally getting into this JZX ownership business and thought I would start a build. My name is Steve and this is my story...

I bought this the other week.

I cleaned it up and did my first ever attempt at a photoshoot. Sony Cybershot, baby. I do weddings

I realized I suck at taking photos and decided to do some maintenance and look the car over.
This is where I keep my ponies.

First up, the serpentine belt. How many grooves are there supposed to be?

Next was a little rust repairo on some superficial surface rust on the rear rolled lips. I don't like rust!
It looks like this all the way around on both sides.
Mask it up!
Weapons of choice...or the best of what Yellowhat and Makeman's had to offer.
Done and done.

I then checked the spark plug situation. I was told they were changed approximately four weeks ago (about 4000km). Your insights/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Here is what they look like and they all look like this. They had a lot of oil around the threaded portion, but the combustion arc was burned clean and appeared to be normal coloring.
The body of each plug has some rust/discoloration around the upper porcelain. What causes that?

So before I get to gung-ho spending money on any other parts of the car, is my spark plug situation critical? Like is this engine doomed (Google search says bad rings or valve seals causes oil on the plugs)?
Or, is the spark plug too cold? They are GReddy iridiums range 8. Stock recommends a 6 range iridium. Is two steps colder for a stock engine with FMIC and exhaust overkill? It is in my mind.
To any other 1JZ owners, what kind of oil do you use? It was changed with Mobil 1 15w-50 when the plugs were done by the previous owner.

That brings it up to the current moment: me sitting in my apartment writing this, drinking copious amount of alcohol, and relishing in the fact that tomorrow is a holiday. I have/will have more pics and such on our blog - http://www.brickhouseproducts.com.

Last edited by steven on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:42 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 am 
Proven Drifter

OMG you luck fuck! how ya been and how is it over there?!! and omg that is dope!!!

ROLL EM & POKE EM

CRACK-COCAINE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:22 am 
Proven Drifter

ya id say put the right plugs in it for sure.. and as for the oil on the plugs it could be that the spark plug gasket under the valve cover could be bad. I had that problem with my WRX. Oil on the plug and plug wire all the time and then found out its a pretty common problem, but thats just a idea for u to look into... but bad ass car and cant wait to see what JDM goodness goes into it :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 am 
Proven Drifter

Skyline wrote:
ya id say put the right plugs in it for sure.. and as for the oil on the plugs it could be that the spark plug gasket under the valve cover could be bad. I had that problem with my WRX. Oil on the plug and plug wire all the time and then found out its a pretty common problem, but thats just a idea for u to look into... but bad ass car and cant wait to see what JDM goodness goes into it :D

This is the first thing i would check, and it's easy. Steven you have stolen my jealousy haha. What are you doing for work over there?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:07 pm 
Proven Drifter

Like they already said, i can almost guarantee its the spark plug gasket that is bad. Only reason ive ever seen oil on the plugs like so. As for the rust, its just hunidity getting down there. Ive seen it on other spark plugs but it has no effect.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 pm 
Proven Drifter

Thanks for the comments/compliments, dudes! Among paying for my travels, my S14 partout helped pay for this beast. I am glad to have a car and something to drive/slide/work on again!

A bad valve cover gasket was one of my guesses at the cause of the oil. Thanks for confirming. The setup of the 1JZ valve covers is different than the SR/KA. There are two cam covers - one for each cam - and the spark plug valley in between. The plugs screw directly into the head not through the valve cover so there is no spark plug gasket. There is some oil in the valley and on the intake but I didn't think it was enough to cause this. I'll switch the cam cover gaskets and see what happens! I am becoming very familiar with the local Toyota dealerships parts counter. Haha.

Mike, I teach English which really means I get the students genki for English. It is an awesome job and a lot of fun if you enjoy kids!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:21 pm 
Proven Drifter

steven wrote:

Mike, I teach English which really means I get the students genki for English. It is an awesome job and a lot of fun if you enjoy kids!

Awesome Steven! This is one of the main reasons I am going back to school as well. I wan't to come visit you possibly this next summer if you are still there, though you'll probably be on vacation or something. Congrats for doing it again sir!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:45 am 
Proven Drifter

I hate English teachers for this reason.
American drifters in japan seem to be English teachers or in the military.

How much you pay for this beast?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:35 am 
Proven Drifter

MikeHunt wrote:
Awesome Steven! This is one of the main reasons I am going back to school as well. I want to come visit you possibly this next summer if you are still there, though you'll probably be on vacation or something. Congrats for doing it again sir!

If it looks like a reality, hit me up! I could be here for the next 5 years. School is year round here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 am 
Proven Drifter

AkaZero wrote:
I hate English teachers for this reason.
American drifters in japan seem to be English teachers or in the military.

How much you pay for this beast?

What?!?!? I busted my ass in college, gave myself a future with options, and now am doing what I want with my life. Like I said, I love my job. It's a blast. I also happen to like cars. I now happen to live in Japan because of the two. You have to have a hobby to keep your sanity. Cars is mine.

Maybe I took too much your post too literally? The internet sucks for sarcasm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:30 pm 
Proven Drifter

I hate due to jealousy. :lol:
It's a dream job really. No place I would rather live, culture wise.
But I don't like kids, would probably not have any patience for it. etc. ( There is always the lottery. )

I worked through college at a 40 hour factory job.
Finished school, quit the factory, was jobless and looking for 6 months, and finally got a job calling people when there alarms go off. :?
It pays me though. So I can keep my hobbies, don't know about sanity though. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm 
Proven Drifter

Haha. Word. I read it way more negatively than it was intended I guess. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:46 pm 
Proven Drifter

Last edited by jimmyp on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:24 pm 
King of Pics and Vids

steven wrote:
Thanks for the comments/compliments, dudes! Among paying for my travels, my S14 partout helped pay for this beast. I am glad to have a car and something to drive/slide/work on again!

A bad valve cover gasket was one of my guesses at the cause of the oil. Thanks for confirming. The setup of the 1JZ valve covers is different than the SR/KA. There are two cam covers - one for each cam - and the spark plug valley in between. The plugs screw directly into the head not through the valve cover so there is no spark plug gasket. There is some oil in the valley and on the intake but I didn't think it was enough to cause this. I'll switch the cam cover gaskets and see what happens! I am becoming very familiar with the local Toyota dealerships parts counter. Haha.

How did you get the job teaching english? I've been very interested in doing that for a few years now.

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 pm 
Proven Drifter

Thanks, Jimmy.

To be an English teacher, you have to meet the basic requirements - have a bachelor's degree and a genuine interest in Japan. After that, you have to make it through the arduous application/interview process and do a lot of waiting in between. I spent over 1.5 years hoping I would get hired and now here I am. It is not a fast process by any means but a definite goal if it is something you are truly interested in pursuing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:02 pm 
King of Pics and Vids

steven wrote:
Thanks, Jimmy.

To be an English teacher, you have to meet the basic requirements - have a bachelor's degree and a genuine interest in Japan. After that, you have to make it through the arduous application/interview process and do a lot of waiting in between. I spent over 1.5 years hoping I would get hired and now here I am. It is not a fast process by any means but a definite goal if it is something you are truly interested in pursuing.

Awesome, I'm working on my English degree right now, I'm going to definitely be looking into this pretty hardcore.

STREET OR DIE!
http://blackmarket666.tumblr.com
http://www.suitteamdriftsquad.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:26 pm 
KCDA Co-Founder

Happy for you bro, you totally deserve the car and the experience of living there. Fuck and its blue! So cool. I've thought about moving there and teaching English, fuck I might just buck down and do it, kinda wasting my time here in the States.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:22 am 
Proven Drifter

Fint wrote:
Happy for you bro, you totally deserve the car and the experience of living there. Fuck and its blue! So cool. I've thought about moving there and teaching English, fuck I might just buck down and do it, kinda wasting my time here in the States.

Thanks, man. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

In JZX news, I went parts shopping today. Too tired to re-post here, but it is on the blog - http://www.brickhouseproducts.com

Teaser :mrgreen: :

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:06 am 
Proven Drifter

Here is the full forum version:

So yesterday was a good day. I did some running around a picked up a few bits here and there and met some awesome dudes in the process.

The haul.

I ordered the Cusco sway bar through UpGarage. Brand new and less than half price? Yes, please. Too bad the front one was sold by the time I got there.

I picked up these awesome bits from a local dude named JP. They are solid brass. The knob weighs over a pound! They added at least 30hp and took a second off my drag times. Bling factor +10.

The steering wheel was too awesome to pass up. Color explosion!

And from my good friend at Toyota, I bought some JZX110 tension rods.

A pic of the part numbers since I couldn't find them online.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 am 
Proven Drifter

So are you entering the ship kcda people uber jdm interior parts market?

I was watching some random videos on my phone at work, found this.
Guy named steven, eigo sensei. Looks like and Australia shirt though. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:09 am 
Proven Drifter

AkaZero wrote:
So are you entering the ship kcda people uber jdm interior parts market?

Ummm...more on this later. I'll be doing a trial run before I start making promises.

AkaZero wrote:
I was watching some random videos on my phone at work, found this.
Guy named steven, eigo sensei. Looks like and Australia shirt though. :lol:

Not me but that is a funny coincidence. That video is a summation of my life: talk, talk, talk, ask the white guy, laugh at him. And repeat. It seemed all too familiar. Haha. Also, they actually pronounced the "v" sound pretty well. I am "Steebu" in these parts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 am 
Proven Drifter

nice x100 and welcome to the jzx world.
you should check out this forum http://jzxproject.com/bbs/index.php?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 pm 
Proven Drifter

After a productive Sunday, I am on my way to getting this thing where I want it. Full write-up on the blog: http://www.brickhouseproducts.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:08 pm 
Kansei Drifter

jimmyp wrote:
congrats bro! much deserved!
you officially the envy of KCDA (and MANY others)

good luck over there man!

Not me! But I'm here as well lol. And Steven this weekend route 2 you down?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:17 am 
Proven Drifter

asianbob! wrote:
jimmyp wrote:
congrats bro! much deserved!
you officially the envy of KCDA (and MANY others)

good luck over there man!

Not me! But I'm here as well lol. And Steven this weekend route 2 you down?

Yes...depending on condition. I'll drive it tomorrow/Thursday and check it out. Last week, there were still four spots that would eat a front bumper/intercooler if you hit them at speed. It would appear they are nearing the end of the construction though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next