The Kansas City Drift Association

Drifting the Midwest
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap mods for HP?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:51 pm 
Proven Drifter

Just got a 1990 240 and it's bone stock, I have a feeling it doesn't have a good amount of HP seeing as it has around 124. Any suggestions on what I should buy/do to make more HP?

Red Coupe - Sold
Pirate -Partial owner... sorta
New drifty car - Steve.

Post subject: Re: Cheap mods for HP?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm 
Proven Drifter

id just focus on learning to drift, get the basics down in this next drift event and then upgrade it over the winter.

Email: ProfoundMotorsports@gmail.com

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm 
Proven Drifter

You don't really need HP. You need tires for practice.
But, on my car I have, Bearpaw Tune (awesome on SOHC), and a cone air filter, bigger ground wire to the block. That's all engine wise, the rest is stock.
I have a Lightweight flywheel is nice. A non open diff is almost required. And suspension set up and knowing your car are the best things.

But I would say just do a Stage 0 ( all new replaceable parts, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, fuel filter, Check timing etc. )
And go drift it.

This is what it can do. Haven't posted any 3rd gear stuff from round 3, but you just have to drive fast. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:31 am 
Proven Drifter

Doesn't a lowly sohc still have like, 150 ft/lbs?
I doubt you'd get to tire fryer mode with your typical i/h/e, my guess is low boost would be more than enough.
Your suspension has lots to do with getting the tires sliding, a stiffer rear anti-roll bar should make it flick driftable.
I bet a welded diff would do wonders too.
Used passenger car tires shouldn't give much grip and are much cheaper. You probably won't need more horsepower after the first set.
The goal here is to spin the tires, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:44 am 
Proven Drifter

A good mod would be inner tie rod spacers, but don't buy the pbm ones just go to true value and get a few washers for each side. But be smart and install them right and use loctite. Also +1 for a welded diff/j30 LSD. Coils are another good mod if have the money

Click here to read the build of The Profound Motorsports S14! - 8----> http://forums.kcdrift.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7389

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 am 

Rolando_JDM wrote:
A good mod would be inner tie rod spacers, but don't buy the pbm ones just go to true value and get a few washers for each side. But be smart and install them right and use loctite. Also +1 for a welded diff/j30 LSD. Coils are another good mod if have the money

Only problem with the spacers is less thread on the inner tie rod going into your steering rack. So what if you use loctite! More threads=better! Loctite on lugnuts maybe!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:44 am 
Proven Drifter

Nerfherder wrote:
Rolando_JDM wrote:

Only problem with the spacers is less thread on the inner tie rod going into your steering rack. So what if you use loctite! More threads=better! Loctite on lugnuts maybe!!!!

my Problem wasn't that the lugnuts it's weren't tight it was that the wheel holes weren't for those lugnuts and it just got lose. I just needed the right wheels. And spacers can be used without a problem, s13 inners have tons of thread, s14's are the ones you should worry about lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 am 
Proven Drifter

A better seat is a must IMO, I run a kirkey, don't use sliders.
Subframe bushings or collars are good after you have some stiffer springs/coils to get of some wheel hop, keep the power on the ground.
I run PBM tie rod spacers, replaced inner and outer tie rods at the same time, made steering 50% tighter, no play. Cost, maybe $65 :D
I get this much angle, with oem rods + $10 pbm spacers. ( a little less becasue I am slammed though. )

Uploaded this just so you can see what a SOHC can do. No boost, no expensive mods.
Linking the whole track last event.
3rd gear entry, the rest was 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:05 pm 

Rolando_JDM wrote:
my Problem wasn't that the lugnuts it's weren't tight it was that the wheel holes weren't for those lugnuts and it just got lose. I just needed the right lugnuts.
Fixed!
I know, just giving you a hard time!

Slidewayz, there are several things you can do to get a bit of horsepower. Intake, header, and exhaust will give you a bit, but don't get too big of exhaust. Don't get a turbo yet. You don't need it. I had a 3" catback and the car was slow. I put the stock piping back on with an aftermarket open flow muffler, and actually increased Hp! You gotta have some back pressure, and I had none!
Spend $75 and get a tune from Steve (Iceman). There is a sticky thread in the marketplace for it. It is well worth it!
Delete the egr (there are several write ups out there on the web).
I know you have a SOHC, but there isn't too much difference with the DOHC. I removed all of my emissions from my car(dohc). The only vacuum line that I'm using is for the fuel pressure regulator. I have deleted the charcoal canister, the A.I.V., Swirl control valve, and EGR. The car accelerates much faster, and I am even currently using the stock ecu.
There are plenty of options out there. Just do a little searching and I'm sure you will find what you're looking for!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 pm 
Proven Drifter

Big exhaust = bad
Small exhaust is bad too.

I had 2.5" on my car ( straight through muffler in place of cat ) car runs great.
Have about half of the exhaust now, broke it in my wreck. Too bad, it sounded great. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm 
Proven Drifter

Where can I get coilovers and how much do they go for?

Red Coupe - Sold
New drifty car - Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:45 pm 
Proven Drifter

New "good" ones run no less than $1000, but check zilvia often and you can find some for 500 and up. You can get cheaper coils like Godspeed or Isis but I dont know the quality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:17 am 
Proven Drifter

You can find used ones for $400 and up.
But Powered By Max has $1000 coils that have been used by many people. ( and they go low )

I bought some used megan streets since I broke my fronts.
Been running just the fronts, and they are not as nice as my teins were, but nicer than stock struts + lowering springs.
But if I were to buy new, I would save for the PBM coils.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 am 
Proven Drifter

Sweet guys, thanks a lot for all the insight!

Red Coupe - Sold
New drifty car - Steve.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:00 am 
Proven Drifter

Q: Cheap HP?
A: Coilovers.
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:21 am 

Squeegee wrote:
A: Coilovers.
:lol:

Helps put the power you do have where you want it to go and do what you want it to!
After looking at the picture in your signature, I think you need some! Body roll FTL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:50 am 
Proven Drifter

I've actually done quite a lot of research about my setup
in my case, body roll is a good thing since suspension displacement causes camber gain thanks to double wishbone awesomeness.
I disagree with getting super expensive coilovers unless you're wanting to stance your car (which I also disagree with, for reasons of taste)
Lets say you get coilovers with the same ratio of spring rate from front to back (aka FRC)
your weight would transfer faster, giving you sportier feel, but at the limit the car would behave similarly (camber gain aside)
it's pretty common for stock cars to understeer for the sake of bad drivers, so to correct it most coilovers have a (relatively) more rearward balance.
Since drifting is the art of oversteer, you'll need a rear bias (or 400hp) which you can get from the coilovers akazero mentioned
:arrow: If you don't want to spend 400-1000 dollars to get a better balance, buy a cheaper anti-roll bar and you can actually tune it
I'm just trying to make sure this guy gets what he's after. I assume it's 'driftability' since that's the main use of horsepower for people on this board. If you still have questions I'd like for you to elaborate.

I've heard that cheap coilover shocks wear out quick. Anyone had this happen? I wouldn't buy used shocks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:00 am 
Proven Drifter

I'd say just leave your car alone, start saving all you extra cash and then before next season starts youll have plenty of cash to upgrade what you need. I started saving after the last event, I'm trying saving for so much stuff that I'm not even spending on the entry for this next event. Start making a list of what you want to buy for next season, set a goal for how much money you need, and start saving...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:45 am 
Proven Drifter

Good coil overs last a long time. My teins broke before the blew out.

As for rolls bars, My rear one has a busted end link. For the last two events.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:10 pm 
Proven Drifter

AkaZero wrote:
As for rolls bars, My rear one has a busted end link. For the last two events.

And it has probably been more predictable to drive, on and off the track! ;)

As for beefing up the rear sway bar without first upgrading the front, it is the most horrible idea EVER! YES it will make it easier to slide BUT on a daily driver it will make it extremely unpredictable and incredibly easy to push out the ass end in gripping situation on the street. When matched up with a welded or 2way diff, it just magnifies this. trust me, i have accident experience (I DO NOT RUN A REAR SWAY BAR, EITHER CAR OR COILOVERS. i MAY run a stock one AFTER I upgrade my front but not until then).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm 
Shift Locker

A: STICKERS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:33 pm 
Proven Drifter

That's definitely the other side of the suspension tuning spectrum
I accidentally unhooked my front bar (a beastly 25mm) and it was fun! too much fun like you said. My corner speeds slowed to keep the back in behind me.
My post was about achieving the right balance, I'm not savvy about aftermarket 240 rear bars, but at least in the miata market there are very small increments larger than stock (even smaller)
if you can find a light bar meant for this sort of thing that's golden. Don't use half of a set. ( a quick search shows the smallest is a cusco 18mm solid vs 21-15mm tubular stock.apples n oranges)
I'm a fan of adjustable swaybars because it allows you to get your car to handle just right.
for street driving I have it set up where it understeers a bit, so overcooked corner entries and ambitious exits are solved by slowing down, which is natural. I have wicked (over)confidence taking corners compared to when I only had the rear bar. too fast and start spinning? can't hit the brakes, take a wider line into ??? I suppose you could get really good at driving backwards too. once I get to the track I'll tighten up the rear for obvious reasons.
Now I'm curious about Krazi's and other people's setups and goddamnit I want to drive those cars too..
is there at least a 'post your setup' page?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 pm 
Proven Drifter

I'll probably completely remove rear sway.
I think a few of us lower power guys are running no rear sway.

Didn't have time to fix it when I noticed the link had finally broken, (day of event)
Been through two events now and the car does what I want it to. Spins out less, but will hold crazy angles.

I'd swap cars with you for a few runs, see what you think of my setup, and I could give an opinion on yours.

Another thing I have noticed, is changing settings event day does not help.
When I first started drifting I was going to events and cushing the dampening on my coils, and I did ok, but when I forgot to change settings one event, I started doing better, bevause I was used to the settings from daily driving.
Daily how you are going to drift, helps lots.

All personal opinion. But you have seen how I drive with a stock sohc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:23 pm 
Proven Drifter

I really appreciate all of the insight guys!

Red Coupe - Sold
New drifty car - Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:37 am 
Kansei Drifter

Location: drifting in my mind or online. possibly in a car or on a bike. maybe in a train.
I really want to see this happen. Ill bring the video camera so we all get to talk about it for 6 months.